Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm back!!!

Thumbs up I'm back!!!

Don't know if anyone remembers me. About 6 years ago I had a burst of Xara-based creativity. I was turning out witty logos, minimalist pop- and op-art designs and clever graphics at a rate of knots. People were paying me good money to design logos and websites. I even appeared as Featured Artist in the Xone! Well, after about 2 years I guess my creative frenzy burnt itself out. My business gradually evaporated, and I lost the impetus to carry on at the same level.

But I still use XaraXtreme Pro nearly every day. I have exhibited (and even sold) prints of some of my old artwork at a local cafe gallery. So I thought I'd give you an update on Me and My Xara.

I might as well explain that quite a bit of my time these days is dedicated to music. I play Wurlitzer electric piano, organ and Stylophone in an 11-piece ska band called The Skanx, and we play all over London. This January we had just recorded a 5-song CD, and I decided to make an animated video for one of our songs, "The Morning After". All the graphics were created in Xara, exported as Flash sprites and then animated in SwishMax, a Flash editing program.

So if you ever wondered what my graphics would look like animated, look no further!

The Skanx: The Morning After
    "Communication is everything"

Default Re: I'm back!!!

Hi Simon, good to hear from you again.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Simon, welcome back!

What a coincidence (or was it something else?), I was just perusing several of your old threads this weekend. Nice stuff! I'm hoping you have another burst of creativity 'cause I'd sure like to see some newer graphics from you.

Stick around,
    Harry

Welcome back beck (couldn't resist that)

Default Some of my recent "work"...

Nice to hear from some familiar names! Did I hear that we lost one of the senior members of the group?

My sons are now aged 11(!) and 8, and the younger one, William is particularly into Pokemon. I therefore invented some spoof Pokemon characters called Pukemoron.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inane.gif 
Views:	138 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	72940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lefchu.gif 
Views:	141 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	72941  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pigglychuff.gif 
Views:	134 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	72942   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pikeychav.gif 
Views:	149 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	72943  

Default Some of my recent work...

On a more serious note, I designed the cover artwork for my father's memoirs; "Grandpa's Book". This book covers the first 25 years of his life, from his childhood in prewar Vienna to his flight from persecution and his upbringing and early adulthood in London. He will be 80 this December, and he wanted to tell his grandchildren about where he (and ultimately they) had come from.

This cover design could not have been produced using earlier versions of Xara, and I am grateful to my dad for having bought a copy of XaraXtreme Pro for me.

The background of the cover is a modified texture from a standalone program called Wood Workshop. The photo of my father aged about 8 is one he sent to his own grandparents from London, treated with Xara's Crumple plug-in. The red stamped letter J (for "Jud", meaning "Jew") is based on the one on my father's Austrian passport; the document allowed him to leave Austria, by then part of Hitler's Reich, with his mother but not return. I found a matching typeface and used Xara's Fractal Plasma as a transparency map to give the effect of a rubber stamp. The title and author text uses a font called Kabel Heavy, processed with Xara's Chrome plug-in. I found a bitmap of flames on the internet and used it as a reflection map. On the back cover, the photo is one I took last year when the two of us visited Vienna together to witness the dedication of a memorial plaque outside my grandparents' former home.

If you are interested in reading "Grandpa's Book", you can buy it as a download or a paperback from Lulu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grandpa's book.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	72948  

Welcome back, Simon. Looking (and sounding) good.

Allison

Welcome back Simon,
    Your work is still amazing. I envy your 'Grampa's Book' that is an excellent way to pass on your heritage. I only wish I had recorded some of my family's history when they were alive.
    JimM

Welcome back!
    Nice to hear from you again.

Hi Simon, always great to see old friends.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host