Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Photo sharpness issues

Hi all,

Fun one to explain - bear in mind I'm fairly new to Web Designer 6 and am using it to put together a site to showcase my wildlife photos.

My problem is this - I want to import images that are 1200px on the longest side and want them to show EXACTLY as I have them already - they are sharpened exactly as I want them and I don't want that to change. How is this best managed in WD6 please? I'm finding that I drag the image in, it gets resized to 500px so I ask for it to be resized back to 1200. When I do this I can already see that some sharpness has been lost although only a small amount. Weirdly if I then move the image to reposition it I am seeing a further loss - seems hard to believe but if I undo / redo I can see it is changing.

I understand there are tools to sharpen within the software but this is then oversharpening how I wanted it to be even when used just a few notches.

Anyone able to help please?

Thanks

TobyH

Default Re: Photo sharpness issues

Update on this -

I tried playing with the screen quality settings - it appears that to get the picture as sharp as it was before I imported it I need to be on "Full Colour" setting. If I change to "High Quality" or "Very High Quality" then the sharpness is negatively affected. When I preview then the sharpness is lost again.

Weird.

TobyH

that is to do with anti aliasing

this is not present in full colour - in high quality and very high quality it is, and its purpose is to smooth the image so as to remove any jagged edges, hence the loss of sharpness [and that is the definition of quality in this regard - no jagged edges]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Toby, you can use XaReg to disable the automatic resizing in WD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	disable-resize-import.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	72813

Another option to check:

BITMAP GALLERY:
    The Properties button will display information about the selected bitmap in the gallery. It also provides a way to stop image smoothing when bitmaps are enlarged. Usually all bitmaps are smoothed when enlarged, or zoomed into, on screen. There is a check-box option in the Properties dialog to turn this feature off
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smooth-when-scaled-up.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	72816

Thank you very much for that - I'll check that out when I get home from work today.

TobyH