Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help with PDF Links

I'm making a site for the medical office I work for. How do I put a clickable PDF link on the site? Most sites have links that you click on and it will open it in another tab in internet explorer. I don't know how to do that. I want to put a patient info packet or something like that so they can print it off and bring it in or something like that. I'm using Xara web designer 5.
    Last edited by James_D; 03 June 2010 at 02:04 AM.

Default Re: Help with PDF Links

Linking to any file type is the same. Simply place the URL in the link field of Web Properties and set the 'Open link in' to (_blank)

What matter more is where you will locate the PDF.

If the PDF resides in the same place as the index.htm then do as shown in the screenshot, if the PDF will be placed in a folder below the index.htm then add the name of the folder like this:

downloads/mypdf.pdf

If you manually add it to the index_htm_files folder that WD creates on export/publish, the you would enter:
    index_htm_files/mypdf.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	link to PDF.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	72787  

Thanks for the reply. I'm still really new to web design. Do I need to have the pdf hosted on a site somewhere or do the directions you gave a way of embedding it onto the site I'm making?

No way to embed.
    Export your site once to a folder on your Hard Drive, then copy the PDF to the index_htm_files folder.

In the 'Link' to field enter:

index_htm_files/mypdf.pdf and set the 'Open link in' to (_blank) as shown.

Also as shown, make certain that 'Correct address automatically' is not enabled.

I would also suggest looking through the Web Designer help files for the 'Link' subject (just press the 'Help' button bottom right of the Web Properties dialogue while the link tab is active)

When you publish, the PDF file/s will be uploaded along with the rest of your site.