Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default <html> and adding a protection snippet

I'm still running into crazy problems trying to install code that protects individual pages of my website. I'm using a program called Sitelok,
    and in order for the protection snippet to work on each page, I need to have it at the very start of each page I want protected. Here's the problem, I keep getting an error message along with the login in box.

I can't figure it out. I've done as Sledger suggested in another thread, I've created a placeholder along with the appropriate code...inserted an <html> name and still it's a no go.

I've attached two screen grabs. One is of the error I getting and the process I'm using to get the snippet at the top. Anyone have an idea what I'm doing wrong or how to fix it? I'm going in circles and this newbie is lost....help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Petner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	errormessage1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	72781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	errormessage2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	72782  

Default Re: <html> and adding a protection snippet

That's an error with the getconfig.php file on your server.

What you have done in Web Designer is correct. So the problem is not related to WD6 at all.

You may need support from your host provider as there might be a php.ini setting for the server that needs changing to suit the script you want to use or a permissions setting.

Thanks Sledger, let me approach it that way and see what happens.

Default Re: <html> and adding a protection snippet Attention Sledger

Sledger...interesting follow up to my last message.

The tech support at Sitelok were kind enough to go into the server and check the page where the error was coming up and here's what they found:

" I had a look at the page on your server and the code snippet wasn't at the top (it was around 17 lines down). I move it to the top and the errors have disappeared. Might be worth checking with Xara about that. Many PHP scripts need to be at the very top so they should have a way to do it I think."

Sledger, if you look at my earlier post, you thought I was doing everything right to get the code to the top...any idea what gives and how to correct it on my other pages?
    Petner

I had a similar problem with the <html> name not putting the placeholder code at the top, it might be a related problem, see here http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=45444

Basically I needed to edit the placeholder code a bit to make it refresh and export as intended.

Xtom, Ugh! As a content guy this is really driving me crazy. I thought I had it right, and it appears Sledger thought so too.

I looked at that thread you sent and it's a little tough for me to follow. Is there some workaround you can suggest?
    Petner

I'll stick a video on youtube showing the problem I'm talking about, I can't upload it here because it's too big.

Last edited by xtom; 03 June 2010 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks a lot Xtom. I also got it to work - finally. Contrary to what I was lead to believe, the size and position of the placeholder does matter. I created a 25 x 25 placeholder and made certain it was on that poster board off to the side of my design, almost at zero by zero, up against the corner and it worked. Viola, it worked, but I have to say I feel somewhat shakey about it.
    Thanks for youTube video.
    Petner

Xtom I looked at your video again and will bookmark...great show way to see a work around and way to remember the process.
    Petner

Thanks for the video xtom.
    Try as I might I cannot repeat what happens for you.
    I followed your video step by step - when the placeholder is renamed from <head> to <html> the code is output to the top always.

@petner: I can position the placeholder anywhere on the page. It makes no difference, the code is still written at the top of the source.

The version of Web Designer 6 I use is:

6.0.0.12008 DL Mar 30 2010