Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: When DXF ?

Default When DXF ?

I am very interested in acquiring Xara Xtreme but I need to import DXF mapping files from Autocad/Microstation for graphic treatment. Is there any chance of adding this format to the import list in future?

Red face Re: When DXF ?

A very good (long standing) question!

WMF is the route users here use, but it is far from problem free, as discussed here:-

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=7625

Default Re: When DXF ?

Yes Dxf support would be nice!
    This has been asked a couple of time...

There are workaround to import cad data though.
    By an Eps output with epsout command or a eps printer.

By opening a dxf with open office draw and export a pdf.

More info here

Also Viacad 2d is rather inexpensive and can convert many formats. It export to AI.

Marc

But why is there a want to come from AutoCad to Xara. All I can see is problems with the import. All shapes are going to be just multiple points nodes so. so difficult to edit even with smoothing!
    Design is thinking made visual.

I don't think it's a matter of editing the output, rather using the detailed AutoCad output as part of a Xara graphic/drawing ....... At least thats what I use it for. I can put together a complex shape with AutoCad's snaps and trim/extend commands much quicker than trying to produce the same object in Xara Xtreme.

Personally I use PDF995 or CutePDF writer to print the AutoCad drawing to PDF and then import that, and it always seems to provide perfectly acceptable results.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    But why is there a want to come from AutoCad to Xara.
    You are right Peter, I need only the EXPORT to DXF from XXtreme, I draw in Xtreme many many objects and then convert(export) them to the DXF files throwo Corel Draw. then the DXF files can be cuted or engraved in CNC Laser machine.

Also i need only to export direct from Xtreme to DXF file.

Regards BP
    Im in love with Xara X / BP
    Friends, I apologize for my broken English
    My TG Albums: http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?u=20432

I have never used the full AutoCad only the LT version and if I can remember correctly it was about £800 and that was 10 years ago. If not for editing use why the need as again if I remember I could easily render textures and many other things including 3D. So again I ask why the need especially when this software has the asking price most probably 10 times the asking price of any Xara software. I am not trying to be bullish here as any text rendering which was poor in AC could be imported in through that time EPS or the Legacy file type. I state again that it is years since I have used the lite version of this software and I am willing to listen to the ways which would improve your work flow outside of this programme in Xara as I may be able to help.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    I have never used the full AutoCad only the LT version and if I can remember correctly it was about £800 and that was 10 years ago. If not for editing use why the need as again if I remember I could easily render textures and many other things including 3D. So again I ask why the need especially when this software has the asking price most probably 10 times the asking price of any Xara software. I am not trying to be bullish here as any text rendering which was poor in AC could be imported in through that time EPS or the Legacy file type. I state again that it is years since I have used the lite version of this software and I am willing to listen to the ways which would improve your work flow outside of this programme in Xara as I may be able to help.
    There are two related main reasons why a dxf import/export would be incredibly useful.

1. Creating base vector drawings - in particular geometric drawings - is much easier and quicker in CAD. An efficient workflow for this type of work would be to start in CAD and finish in Xara - and occasionally back out to CAD again.

2. For the CAD community Adobe Illustrator or InDesign tends to be the main way of creating presentation graphics from drawings initiated in CAD (and even if you object to 1. there is no way the CAD community would use Xara to create building plans, product drawings etc). There is a vast untapped market there for Xara - I have seen many job adverts for designers and architects which ask for competence with Adobe Illustrator aswell as CAD for precisely this reason.

The cost of Autocad LT is a red herring. Autocad is not the only CAD package - there is a whole range of packages starting from free to $10,000 and up. Dxf is at present the common file type for exchange between them.

There's a new free 2d cad from Dassault: Draftsight

It looks quite good an outputs excellent PDF.

This way you can transfer your dwg or dxf data in Xara, it even keeps color information.

Marc