Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help I'm a beginner...!

Hi
    I've never created a website before and I am a complete beginner. I've created my website using xtreme web designer 5 and have 'finally' published it.
    All the links in the content of the home page take me to the other pages however the buttons don't (xara page is displayed). What have I done wrong?
    I think the problem for me is that I don't understand the jargon so any BASIC instructions would be very gratefully received. Thanks.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Help I'm a beginner...!

Hi newsue and welcome to TalkGraphics.

The same way you applied the web address to your text links, do that again for the buttons. Select the graphic button
    Press Ctrl+Shift+W to bring up the website properties screen
    in the 'Link to page' field, select the name of the page in your site that you want to link to.

If you want to link to a page outside of your site, then just replace the www.xara.com address with the address that you want in the 'Link to Web or Email Address' field.

Always press the 'Apply' button each time.

Repeat the process each time for as many buttons as you have.

I hope that gets you there.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Welcome to TalkGraphics newsue

In order for the buttons to work when you preview your website in the preview browser, the buttons must link to something. Xara when they created the templates linked the buttons to their website (a marketing ploy? ).

So when you determine what the pages will be, then as Eric has explained, you can relink the buttons as appropriate.

Buttons can be linked to pages on the website. They can be linked to external websites, linked to pop up menus, or even to open your visitors e-mail program, or some or all of these.

Thank you both for such a quick response. I have done as you said and removed the pre-entered xara website address in the web properties. However, it hasn't worked on all pages. I'm so frustrated. It views fine in preview but as soon as I export it that's when the trouble starts. Is there a delay before you can see the changes live?

Also, a new problem I'm hoping you will be able to give me basic instructions for...I am uploading photographs for a gallery page. I keep getting an error message saying 'out of memory'? What is the limit of pics I can upload? Is it anything to do with the quality of the photo. I recently changed camera to a 14.1mp. I understand it doesn't need to be this high for web pages is this the problem. When I photo optimize what settings do I put it to?

I feel I'm nearly there but yet so far!!!!!

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Can you post the URL to the site, or attach the .web file?

Jim

If it works in preview and from a hard disk export but not live then it is probably your browser showing you a cached version. Press CTRL+f5 to force it to load a fresh copy.