Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    alilister Guest

Question Rotating banner script

Hello

I have a simple script for rotating pictures.

Please could you explain how I insert this in XWD6: I think I can find where it goes, but more specifically, how do I name/bring in the images so that the script can pick them up? The script is simple javascript where I will need to list the names of the images to have them rotate.

It's not really a banner. I want to change the homepage graphic randomly so it looks like the site is being updated more often than it is.

Thanks in advance.

Ali

Default Re: Rotating banner script

Impossible to answer accurately without seeing the script you are using?

However, please review this thread;

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=45334

alilister Guest

I think it is fairly obvious what I do with the script, but I was wondering what the program's convention was for autonaming and what directories might have to be drilled down to.

Don't worry. I will publish a template site and see what it calls stuff. Sorry to trouble.

Wish there were a manual (OK now you are going to say, there is a manual. But I mean a printed manual.)

Ali

Quote Originally Posted by alilister View Post
    I think it is fairly obvious what I do with the script, but I was wondering what the program's convention was for autonaming and what directories might have to be drilled down to.
    Yes it's obvious to the point of the purpose (which is why I gave you the link to something possibly similar which works)

Web Designer and Xtreme are not HTML editors as you've no doubt already read on the forums.
    But by way of placeholders that can accept code snippets and scripts for added functionality. There is very little in the way of convention and so forth, it simply exports you code snippet or script along with the WYSIWYG content of your created site.

On export, only one folder is created which by default is: index_htm_files

Without seeing the script you have in mind to use, I couldn't answer how to best use it because it's very likely unique, as most of course are.

You won't find anything in the Help file about external script other than what I've said, Xara supports the use of placeholders but not the code you put in them. That's where the forum helps

Anyway, if you run into trouble, post your .web file and script and I'm sure someone will help you.

The Help files and "movies" really are a manual. Just take some time to familiarize yourself with the contents.

And in most cases with Xara products, pressing F1 while you have a tool selected brings up a context sensitive menu with an explanation of the function and options.

And when you think about it, this is much more efficient than having to look something up in a book. Not to mention saving a few trees in the bargain.

alilister Guest

WD6 Re: Rotating banner script

Hi Gary,

I know. I spend all my life on line but like to learn from a book. And me, an e-learning bod. Always been that way - I suspect from the days when my youngest was a baby. Used to snatch a few minutes with a manual whenever he slept. If ever I put the computer on he woke up. But books are silent...

Brace yourselves because I am doing all kinds of stuff at the moment and will ask all kinds of stupid questions until I find where everything is. But I promise to try and find the answer first, although the HELP is not the most comprehensive I've encountered. Quite large subjects are completely missing and some subjects appear to have placeholders.

Also - take pity! Everything is called something different in my other programs. I have to get used to the Xara lingo.

Have a good weekend.

Ali

alilister Guest

Smile Re: Rotating banner script

... and in any case, I've been a member here since 2000 and in all that time only bothered the forum with 16 posts!

Be nice to Steve (sledger). He is a fount of knowledge.

alilister Guest

WD6 Re: Rotating banner script

I agree. He's brilliant.

I've had a very enjoyable day in XWD6 today. I keep going for graphics tools that aren't there, though, which makes me wonder whether I should be designing in the bigger program. Love to run before I can walk. Always.

But I love the cuteness, the loveliness, the convenience - the everything of XWD6. It reminds me of Fusion in its beautiful, early incarnations. I like the sparseness. Hope it never gets feature bloat, which is very deadly to pretty software.

Again, I ask - why is it so cheap?

Less cost + greater functionality = more sales = more profit......it's a marketing truth that has existed as long as man has had something to trade for.......
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11