Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Illustrations for Print

Hi everyone!

I have a question for you. I have been asked to create 27 color illustrations for a childrens book. While flattered, I am no professional illustrator. I currently own Xara 5.0 but NOT the pro version. If these illustrations are meant for printing, should I be using the pro version due to the CMYK color separation etc.? I export to .pdf all the time but not sure if that would be acceptable for printing. Since I have no experience in the professional end of things, any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Duane

Default Re: Illustrations for Print

Yes.

Xtreme 5 can export a pretty generic PDF file which is great for sharing a file on the Internet or for basic file exchange use. But Xtreme 5 Pro has a much more sophisticated PDF export capability including PDF/X up to version 3.

Your other alternative, and this should work fine, is to create a TIFF file at the resolution the publisher recommends. I would export an RGB TIFF file and let the publisher do the CMYK conversion based on their requirements.

But ask your publisher what her or his preference is. If they prefer PDF then I would upgrade to Xtreme 5 Pro.

In late June there are rumours that a new version of our programme is arriving! Get on with your work now and upgrade then when they are good deals going. I would agree with Gary ask your printer what they would like as some on-line printers prefer EPS for some unknown reason.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Gary is right, always ask your customer what their preferred format is. I mostly deliver a Jpeg file for print. At one time Tiff used to be the favourite, but these things change over time and from one customer to the next, so it is always best to get precise instructions where possible.

All very good advise. Thanks everyone!