Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Structure and archiving

Maybe someone can help this novice with two issues involving Xara’s Designer 6. I’m in the midst of developing my site: the247newsroom.com. The site is up and partially functioning. Before I launch, there are two issues that concern me (and confuse me). My site is meant to be dynamic with content changing daily, possibly on the hour as stories develop...my site is focused on media news. First, is there a good way to set up the page organization so it doesn’t become a mishmash of pages? My second question is about archiving...is there an easy way, or suggestion you have so I can archive the content pages I create…presumably my site will have a life for many months to come. I’d like give my users the ability to go back and see earlier additions. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.
    (Tom) Petner

Default Re: Structure and archiving

Quote Originally Posted by petner View Post
    My site is meant to be dynamic with content changing daily, possibly on the hour as stories develop......is there an easy way, or suggestion you have so I can archive the content pages I create… I’d like give my users the ability to go back and see earlier additions. Your help and suggestions are appreciated.
    Eeek.. Nothing simple comes to mind. I'm fairly certain that Xara Web Designer was not created for such advanced usage on it's own, certainly the target demographic does not make for this to be a facility of the software.

Thanks. I'm not sure where this leaves me. One other question, I just installed a program called Sitelok on my website. It ties into the MYSQL database and serves to register users and protect certain pages. The registration mechanism works beautifully in the test, but here's the problem, it will only recognize PHP file extensions to protect pages. I added the snippet to an individual page in Designer 6 to see if it would be recognized...no deal. It's suggested in the Sitelok manual that I contact the server side, in this case GoDaddy, which I have done. The Sitelok manual suggests that many hosting services can automatically recognize (convert) HTML extensions to PHP. The tech tells me there's no way for their server to do this...is there a way to deal with this on the Designer 6 side of my pages?
    Petner

You can rename your pages with a .php extension in WD under web page properties.

Thanks XTOM, but I'm still a bit confused where to add that PHP extension...sorry. I would appreciate a bit more hand holding on this. If I go into "Utilities" and into the "Page Filename" space...is that where I add the PHP extension?
    Petner

Yep, just enter index.php or news.php or whatever.php and when you export or upload the website you should see the files will have .php extensions instead of .htm - except for your very first page which is always index.htm , you'll need to rename this outside of WD or have your first page a dummy/blank page, it's a strange one but there's other topics on this in the forum.

XTOM, you're terrific. This worked just fine and since I have your attention -I hope - can you steer me in one more right direction.
    I have a snippet of code to paste into the pages I want protected, so my users will be forced to register on my site before viewing the pages.
    Here's the code:
    <?php
    $groupswithaccess="CLIENT";
    require_once("../slpw/sitelokpw.php");
    ?>
    The code - according to the manual of the program I'm using, Sitelok - has to be inserted at the top of each page I want protected. How do I get it at the "top" of the page...use that <html> code before it. I gather from what I've ben reading that adding this <html> code will insert things at the top. Is that correct, or is there another way.
    Again, thanks for the other help.
    Petner(tom)

Thanks Sledger, but I still can't seem to make it work. I saw this <html> before but I just tried again after you pointed it out...and still it's a no go.
    Here's what I'm doing.
    I'm opening the "web properties" box in Designer 6

In the page section, down at the bottom, in the "Tracker Code" section I added the code this way:
    <html>
    <?php
    $groupswithaccess="CLIENT";
    require_once("../slpw/sitelokpw.php");
    ?>

I uploaded the page and I'm getting some strange wording in the background, so I'm doing something wrong. Can you pointed it out?
    Thanks
    Petner

The name to assign to such a placeholder is "<html>"
    You are almost there. But you are misunderstanding where it is to add the **Name** to the placeholder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	add-name.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	72526

edit: Just noticed you are adding the PHP to the tracker code area. Add this to 'Replace with HTML code'
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 May 2010 at 10:31 PM.