Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default links not working?

Hi,

I am attempting my first website in Xara (long time Xara user and Webdesigner, but first website in Xara).

Now i want to click a picture, and have it popup the bigger picture. I right Click the picture, choose Web properties, and then on the "Link" tab, select "popup photo".

When i export the site, nothing happens when i click on the thumbnail. When i check the source code, i notice indeed a link around the correct image. But not in the browser (the mouse pointer doesnt even change). Here is the page: http://www.micro-wings.com/xaratest/index_2.htm. Picture # 2 is supposed to pop up.

What is wrong?

thanks!

Matt

Default Re: links not working?

Better post your .web or .xar file so people can take a look at how you set up your web page.

I have now found out that the border seems to be the issue. Its probably a transparent rectangle with a black border that is put over the image. So the link is not accessible.

So i have now removed the border. Now it works. Isnt there a way to have both the border and the picture. Maybe when i make the border from 4 lines, Xara wil not generate a rectangle with a transparent fill?

thanks!

Matt

Hello,
    two options come to my mind:
    1.) You prepare your photo already with such a border as part of the photo, before you import it into WD6.

2.) Move the rectangle behind the photo in its levels.

Regards,
    Holger
    Last edited by Freewind; 21 May 2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Too complicated explaining, here the more easy and focused way-:o)

I have found the best solution to be using 4 lines to create the border, instead of a rectangle without fill. The rectangle is converted into an image with transparent fill by xara. So if you plase it above your image, you get into trouble with the links. The 4 lines are converted to 4 images by xara.

The reason i want the border to be above the image, is because this gives me a bit of flexibility in placing and sizing the image, you dont see its edges anyway because they are hidden by the border. If i would place the border below the image, i would need to place and size the image to fit exactly, and thats a lot more work ;-)

Thanks!

Not sure if it will work for you but did you try filling a rectangle with the photo? Drag it from the bitmap gallery and hold CTRL to fill the rectangle with the photo. Then you can move,rotate,zoom the photo within the rectangle with a border.

That should work as well, however then i will loose the clipping and content aware photo resizing possibilities, right? I need those.

You will retain both resizing and clipping. I made a rectangle with 4 pixel border. Clicked on Fill Tool and changed it to Bitmap fill. Drag a photo on to it to fill it. That photo can be cropped, rotated, whatever within the rectangle (or whatever shape you choose).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture078.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	72403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture081.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	72405  

ok i will check, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by killerwhale65 View Post
    ... Xara wil not generate a rectangle with a transparent fill?
    Of course it does.
    But you are thinking that transparent means 'no pixels' - it doesn't.
    Think of a transparent rectangle with a border as a window with clear glass.

As has been suggested, place you transparent rectangle behind the links. This should definitely not mean more work at all if you use the tools available in Xara Xtreme or Web Designer for Arranging and Alignment