Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: troubles building navigation bar

Once you have done that, you can remove the other buttons that you have created. These won't be necessary after you have fllowed the above steps.
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

That sounds clear. We'll see if it works.

Sandy

We've come a ways here. The buttons almost work. Sometimes I have to click on it three times before it goes to the correct page. Also, In the flyout buttons, I tried to change the color and it wouldn't work AND there's a couple extra flyout buttons that aren't supposed to be there but I don't have the option of deleting them when I go to the navigation bar creator.

One more thing. I would like to place a swf (exported flash file) on the home page. What are the steps to do that?

Thanks

I'm further along than I thought I'd be. I'm almost seeing the end to this project thanks to you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Sandy,

OK. I've done a few things, to make this work.

In your example .web from your last post I did the following.

Double click on the navbar to open the properties screen
    Click the 'Ungroup to edit grapics' button
    Delete all the buttons except Pens
    Select the Pens button and press Ctrl+Alt+U (to un soft group)
    Click somewhere elese to deselect the button (you have both states selected and I only want the top one (MouseOver)
    Click back on the Pens button to Select just the MouseOver state.
    Hold Ctrl and press the left arrow button a few times until the two states are not on top of one another.
    Press Ctrl+U to ungroup
    In the status bar (lower left corner of the screen) you will see that you still have two groups on this layer.
    Click somewhere elese to deselect the button (you have both groups selected and I only want the top one
    Click back on the Pens button to Select just the top group.
    Hold Ctrl and press the left arrow button a few times until the two groups are not on top of one another.
    Delete the one that was underneath.
    Select the one that was on top and hold Ctrl and press the right arrow until the MouseOver state is directly over the MouseOff state.
    Click drag select both states
    Press Ctrl+Alt+G to reaaply the soft group
    Follow my previous insturctions for turning this button into a navbar.
    You will have to change some things as you want some of the pages to be sub menu options.
    Make whatever adjustments you want to the menu.

Also, I've noticed that when I mouseover any part of the rectangle that has the named color cccc99, all of the buttons show the MouseOver state. The reason for this is that you have the rectangle set to link to a page (even though you haven't selected a page for it to link to.) To correct this, do the following on each page of your site.

Click on the rectangle (the one with the named color) to select it.
    Click on the Link properties button (chain links)
    On the Link tab select the 'Do Nothing' radio button.
    And that should take care of your problems.

I'm traveling today so I won't be on much longer. But let me know how you get on with it.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hi,

I am getting this same error using the trial of the new Xara Designer Pro 6. It seems to only happen when I have a mouseover state. I've gone through the exact steps in post #4 above in creating my own and when I go to create the navigation bar, it pops the message up.

I've tried to simplify what I'm doing to the most basic - no gradients, no fancy text, etc. A simple, single color rectangle as the button, some Arial text (no in a column or text box, just a plain text object) grouped together on the mouseoff layer; then a copy of this same thing with a different color of text on the mouseover layer. I then have these two groups soft-grouped and link applied.

If I get rid of the stuff on the mouseover layer, I can make this work with any kind of fancy graphic/text combo on just the mouseoff layer. I did odd shapes with shadows with fancy text also with a shadow, no link assigned, etc and it still let me create the nav bar - add anything to the mouseover layer and select it along with the original and it doesn't work.

I've done videos on how to create these from scratch, so it's not like I don't "get" how to use xar, groups, layers, links, etc.

Open to ideas - I'm sure I've just missed something, but I don't know what it is.

--- bump ---

Ok - I'm definitely not losing my mind. Wonder what caused that unfortunate fork in the code!

Waiting for fix - this is actually an important piece of this upgrade for me, especially for quickly mocking up nav bars, and having options for easily adding to them.