Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inserting a photoalbum page into XWD placeholder

Hello

I hope you can help. I have created a website design (not yet uploaded) and wish to include photo albums on ‘portfolio’ pages in placeholders. I have found software that can create html-based albums (JAlbum with a PhotoPlayer skin) so the image titles and keywords are searchable.

Having created a suitable album design and inserted its index.html in the placeholder, I have encountered problems when previewing the website. The html code is clearly being processed but stops with four error messages, shown on the attached document, which also shows the html text.

I have also tried to produce a similar album page with other software and inserted its index.html in the placeholder, with the very same error messages. This suggests I am doing something wrong, or that the html code needs altering to be used in this way.

I hope you can help

Regards

Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Inserting a photoalbum page into XWD placeholder

Quote Originally Posted by tony1941 View Post
    I have also tried to produce a similar album page with other software and inserted its index.html in the placeholder, with the very same error messages.
    You are making the mistake of assuming a placeholder can contain an entire *complete* .html page full of code. This isn't the case. Placeholders are for 'snippets' - blocks of code which add something to your final website page output.

You must only include the parts that are required for your album and player.
    Also, any required and additional .css and .js used by JAlbum must be included in the correct path as defined and expected in the source.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Two quick thoughts on my part...

1) I'm not sure that you want to name your photo album page index.html. Don't you want the main page of the website created by XWD to be named index.htm?

2) I'm not sure what you photo album does, but some photo album functionality does exist within XWD6. (assuming you are using the latest version, you header doesn't say)

Again, just thoughts on my part....

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Thank you Sledger, but not being knowledgable on html I'm not clear what the difference is between a snippet and a page full of code, unless you are referring just to the length.

The code would create a page in my website (I am assured), but I wish to contain that 'page' within the bounds of the placeholder. I don't understand what parts are required (and not required). Also, I have copied all the files the album requires, in the original folder and file format, to the support file. It is complete to the extent that if I click on the index.html file it will generate an album page in my browser.

Can you be more explicit in your advice, or direct me to where I might find the solution to my problems?

Tony

Hi Eric

Thanks for your help. I am using Version 5.0.2.xxxx, not Version 6.

Do you think if I renamed the index this would resolve the problem. I presume you are thinking there might be a coding conflict?

The album presents a series of thumbnails which can be clicked to enlarge them individually and to present the series as a 'slideshow.' Also on the album page is the title of each image as it is enlarged, together with keywords and original photo EXIF data (if required), all searchable by the likes of Google.

Would the album function of Version 6 offer something similar, in particular, the ability to extract keywords and EXIF data from the photo metadata in a form that is searchable? If so, I would be interested to upgrade.

Regards

Tony

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Tony,

I think that you might also have a coding conflict. Steve is (I'm sure) correct about your placeholder problems.

XWD6 will allow you to enter titles and ALT text for each photo you have on your site, and this is fully search engine readable. You can download a 30 day trial for free from Xara. Download it and give it a try. There are some amazing improvements over version 5.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

XWD6 sounds interesting and I will give it a try. From what you've said, however, it does mean entering ALT data for every image, when this is already available as part of the image file in the metadata. Big task!

I would still like to pursue the idea of incorporating my prepared album into my XWD website. There MUST be a way!

I have been speaking to the designer of the software and he suggests using iFrames. I read somewhere that XWD does not have iFrames and a placeholder is not an iFrame. Is this correct?

How exactly would you describe a placeholder to a person skilled in web design (I am a novice), so I can discuss the problem further with the software designer and perhaps make more progress?

Many thanks

Tony

Tony,

You can use a place holder as an iframe. As a matter of fact, check out this post. That should get you most of the way there.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...5&postcount=10

Eric
    My Club. My Album.

Eric

Thanks. I will follow this up tomorrow. I have a way to insert the album into an iFrame (I think!).

Tony

Tony - JAlbum uses similar and common scripts which are also available to use with PICASA Albums.

One such script is 'SimpleViewer' which I showed some time ago using WD5 here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=37692