Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Help with fills...

Hi all (getting back into xtreme after a long break)
    im looking at bitmap fills now and i can not figure out how to save a customized bitmap fill....
    I.E say i choose an image i like then spend some time adjusting it's size, color and transparency... then once i have this set right....
    I need to re-use the same fill with these custom settings for the creation of alot of other objects ETC....

Just wondering how experienced users do this and/or is there a way to save a variant of an existing fill as a seperate fill or to update a fill so that it then by default has these setting applied by default....

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone is willing to offer....
    cheers.

Default Re: Help with fills...

One method would be to save the customised bitmap object as a separate xara file, then import that into another Xara file (you could save the file with the custom bitmap as a file in a separate "category/folder" in the Design Gallery of custom fills which would make locating it for future use easier).

Another method would be to save a file with a customize bitmap object as a separate template or part of an existing template (putting it on its own layer would allow you to toggle its visibility on and off).

With either method, you could then use Xara's 'copy attribute-paste attribute' method to transfer the fill effect to a new object.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I have a folder on my computer for my custom fills, and I added that folder to my fills gallery. When I make a custom fill in Xtreme I simply make sure that my custom fill is selected and go file> export and export to my fills folder. Then I update the fills folder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks jclements and angelize...
    jclements:
    thx those 2 suggestions well enable me to do what i need to.
    The paste attribute was a function i was looking for (but could not figure out)
    angelize:
    Thx i get what your saying but have to confess that I still have not exactly sussed out that aspect of xara....i still dont really understand how you can export a fill...I.E do you have to have a blank document with only one object or do you just select one object then export? (just to know Thx)
    Anyway thanks for the help.....

This is my first attempt at this aspect of xara...im not the type of person who systematically learns a whole app (wish i had the attention span) i just learn each function as i find myself needing it.

Im doing a figure and im trying different techniques to get the effect of human skin...
    So anyway i spent 3 or 4 hours last night finessing a goosebumps texture.
    Ill probably still spend a few more hours on it.... its starting to work.

Anyway FYI.... here is a sneak peek....(tis fun mucking around with it...i really need some more steam though)
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.ph...&pictureid=830

Anyway these fills are cool now that im getting my feet wet i might do a veins texture...
    I noticed on the art that a subtle veins effect could work... where will it all end LOL
    Last edited by morphonius_821; 10 May 2010 at 01:32 AM.

Beautiful!

Good texture for a Thanksgiving turkey too

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is a quick tutorial that I put together. I hope this helps you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	custom fills.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	72023  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

You wrote me a tute....(Jesus) You guys rock.

Turkey...yeah LOL