Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WD6 : not found in the templatepack

I have seen a widget as used by Amazon, ofcourse the American market, less usable in Europe.
    For some purpose I use the simple selling one column template, made a simple one in html and a few colors. But I want to make some more trendy, more graphical, therefor looking for that template.

Demo of what I mean as a one column selling page:
    http://www.affiliateelite.com/index2.htm

Any idea ?

Default Re: WD6 : not found in the templatepack

Quote Originally Posted by saranewbie View Post
    Any idea ?
    None at all I'm afraid
    Could you be a little more detailed about what you'd like to achieve please?

"Normally" I make lots of webpages in the old fashioned way using xhtml and css, with a sauce of php, a few pictures, and an icecream of databases, cms's to forget all the struggle

Until I stumbled upon WD5 ( use Xara Extreme for years only for images ) , to learn, made some very small "business-card" pages, and now, receiving WD6 with a little more templates and reading this forum, I know now that WD6 cannot import existing html and css. A little bit disappointing. Because I have lots of pages, to give a remake.

Every (mostly) human being has to learn walking on two leggs, not on three. I want to learn with a one-column webpage, to see wich graphics can work for specific goals ( see example in the earlier post ), how works the centering, display widht, and so on. The moment I can walk on an one- column-page, time for a two or three column page.
    That's why.

But I see no template based on a one column page, readable by WD6. Certainly, I can try to build it up from scratch, but understanding would be work faster working, with an existing template.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Saranewbie,

I'm still not sure what you mean by 'one-column web page'. My best guess is something like the attached, namely a web page with only one column of text in it.

If that is what you are looking for, then it is very easy to achieve. Just use the text tool and click and drag a single text column where you want it and start typing.

I hope that helps.

Eric
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hello Eric,

Thanks voor your : One Column.web model , something like that, I needed.

In my point of view, I would set some things in the css, like the width of the body, in your demo 760 px, the way of centering in the viewport, in this case top 0, left 50%, margin-left:-380px (??)

Mostly, I am using a container width like 1004 px, within a body about 760 px, to prevent in case of a monitor counting 23 inch, looking at a white paper of 760 pixels width and a border of 380 px left and right. etc.

Where to set these things.

The Head of the HTML : characterset of your demo (exported to html ) is 1252, I use 8859-2 , not transitional but strict html.

In my not-WYSIWYG editor, I know the things to change, sitting in front of WD6 it looks uggly without an example. It gives me the idea, what is making a webpage all about, although I made something like 2.000 pages or more in a period of 2002 to this day.

I believe I bought WD5 about one and a half year ago, never used it, too complex. Made from a complete other way of page-design.
    Therefore I have to digg it out, first the page, next one-column, after that two and more. To find out , where can I settle these things.

And after that I know how to design these dimensions, facts, then I can sit down, thinking of a nice design, thinking of the conversion of the page, the commercial parts of the game.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

So if I understand you correctly, you want to understand how to set up the page size in XWD. To do this go to File then Page Options and you can either pick a standard size from the dropdown on the Page Size tab, or you can select Custom from the same dropdown and enter any pixel size you would like. XWD automatically sets the page centered at the top, no matter what screen size is being used.

Does that get you started?

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    My Club. My Album.

Almost Eric, I followed your advice, checked it out in the help and see this :

You can set any page size you like by selecting the Page size tab of the Options dialog (File->Page Options). It's not recommended that you make the page width more than 990 pixels, as that's the maximum width for many computer screens (1024 minus a small amount for the scroll bar). A more common page width is typically around 800 pixels.
    I'm beginning to see the light I hope.
    In the old days, from home computers like the Radio Shack/Tandy, well known in the USA, we were happy after introducing the VGA format 640x480 screen, SVGA a little bit bigger. Talking about 1980 - 1990 .....
    Combining : the definition of Xara/WD6 » page = screen = document , correct ?
    So I have to take in attention, a Textzone with it's own margins.

And I have to forget all about a document-container, as often used in css.

The advice above is a format not higher than 990 pixels, where I use 1004 , I hope the WD6 designers take attention that most cms systems like Joomla and others are often designed in 1280 width and wider.
    I agree, it's not wise.

If I understand this well enough, the next : where can I find the place to change html-information like the characterset for Europe, for instance 8859-2 or utf-8/16, Html transitionaql or strict or xml, it's not mentioned in Web properties, looking in the help : not found.
    Instead a trackingcode, wich is new for me.

Quote Originally Posted by saranewbie View Post
    Combining : the definition of Xara/WD6 » page = screen = document , correct ?
    Wrong.
    Screen - system screen or sometimes actually a browser window area (if not maximised).
    Page - the area defined by the page rectangle in the WD. Only content that fits it is exported and visible. This area is centered in the browser window.
    Document - contains one or more pages plus site specific data. Represented as a design file with the extension .web or .xar.
    And I have to forget all about a document-container, as often used in css.
    WD was designed to allow people create their pages without any CSS knowledge. Though if you have it, you can benefit in some areas of interest using code placeholders. If you want.
    the characterset for Europe, for instance 8859-2 or utf-8/16,
    You can override declared charset in the HTML header as described here. But let me explain what it influences. The body text of the page is always exported using Unicode sequences. That means that no matter what codepage is set in the browser the text will look correctly. The code text, like alt and title properties as well as meta elements and filenames are exported using your current system locale. So if your OS codepage is 1252, it will be used to encode all such strings. And the appropriate declaration will be made. If you override it as described above, it will not change the way this text is encoded. So if you do so, make sure that you only use ASCII character in the code strings.
    Html transitionaql or strict or xml
    WD6 always produces "XHTML 1.0 Transitional" code. Replacing doctype with anything else may result in the wrong page rendering in some browsers and will violate standards compliance.
    Instead a trackingcode, wich is new for me.
    The content of the tracker code field is inserted just before the closing </body> tag.
    John.

Hello John, thanks for your reply, but :

my brains won't eat it yet.

Take this forumpage, I've set my FF window in such a way that I see,
    1 - from border to border 1036 pixels wide, scrollbar not included
    2 - blue bar with topic review / topic / reply to thread : 967 px wide
    3 - left zone gray and white 44 px
    4 - right zone white 25 px.
    5 - white zone in total 1018 px

I have to set the page-width on 967 px or 1036 px ?
    Probably 1036 because otherwise the layout is gone, next to the google searchform, or 1018 like the white colored zone.

And back to my example mentioned in my first item, affilite elite with url,
    again I see a total width of 1036 px,
    1 - white zone left 182 px
    2 - text part in the middle let's say 660 px
    3 - white zone right 194 px

page width on 1036 or 660 px ?

Codepage / doctype is clear, I understand the position of the trackingcode, but what is this and where is it used for.

It sounds like you want a dynamic page size. This isn't something that XWD6 does naturally as it is a program that creates websites that are fixed pixel sizes.

However, you can add a tweek to make the website dynamic sized. You can find the tweek set created by John (covoxer) here.

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=44779

I hope this is what you are looking to do.

Eric
    My Club. My Album.