Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Just curious

Default Just curious

I would have thought a good and open debate about the merits of other software versus Xara could actually help others making the break into Xara or Xara users learn more about this product.
    Xara is robust enough to stand on its own feet and not be threatened by comparisons with other brands.
    Rather than close a topic as it might not show Xara in best light, or suggest the other is better (which I don't believe it would) or suggest such a topic is not Xara related, I would offer it be thrown open for debate. If its about Xara then it definitely should be here in my view.
    my two bobs worth.
    regards
    Richard

Default Re: Just curious

I think you are talking about the Serif PagePlus v Xara Xtreme thread which was closed. Though not many people might have known this as your thread title and content is rather non-specific Richard.

The Serif DrawPlus thread is open via the link posted, you are most welcome to join in the discussion there.

A comparison between Serif PagePlus and Xara Xtreme would be like comparing apples and oranges. No similarities other than they are both computer applications that run on the Windows platform.

The thread Steve mentioned http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=45004

Discusses Serif DrawPlus X4, their vector graphics application's latest version.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hello,
    There is not other software that have the same support as xara has when you use Talkgraphics.
    This site + xara xone is what in my opinion makes the huge difference among the rest.
    Just try it, post a question and see it by yourself
    Best regards
    Javier

I'v got Xara Xtreme 5 Javier and yes I agree the support here is first rate.
    That said, I was just a bit perplexed why there are times when we are told that this or that isn't related to Xara and so it doesn't belong 'here'.
    Some threads below mention other programs and yet they don't get flagged the way this one did from 'instinctive mediaworks'
    I will close this thread.
    In future please post in the Graphics Chat forum regarding non-Xara software.

I headed it 'Just curiou' because that was how I felt.
    I was assuming like others the post was referring to Serif DrawPlus not PagePlus as posted.
    Last edited by Richard S; 30 April 2010 at 09:34 PM.

The thing is that Xara themselves state on their website that Xtreme is a "DTP" app (please check if you don't believe me ;-))

That's just what Serif claim about their PagePlus.

From the feature lists, I would guess that PagePlus is more of a DTP app though than Xtreme, while Xtreme is the better all-in-one app (vectors / image manipulation).

As I do more DTP / layout stuff and not so much "art", I was missing a few DTP typical features in Xtreme. I guess using PagePlus for the overall "big picture" and layout, and designing complex vector graphics in Xtreme and importing them there would be the best overall approach.

But well
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by instinctive.de View Post
    Xara themselves state on their website that Xtreme is a "DTP" app (please check if you don't believe me ;-))
    No. Xara never stated anywhere that Xtreme is a DTP application. The statements you've seen are saying that Xtreme is capable of performing some DTP tasks. But having some basic DTP functionality and being a full fledged DTP application is two absolutely different things.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
    I was assuming like others the post was referring to Serif DrawPlus not PagePlus as posted.
    And that's what the moderator was assuming too. And since there is already one correctly named and not misleading thread discussing direct comparison of Xtreme and Serif DrawPlus X4, which already has some posts with valid opinions, he decided to close this thread as being a duplicate. And a poor duplicate in fact. All the discussion on the subject are welcome in the thread pointed out by the moderator.

Now since this thread is going into off topic area for this forum I shall remind you that moderator actions on this forum are not a subject to discuss. But if you want to express your opinion on the way it is moderated, good or bad, you must do this on the Announcements & Feedback forum. The Xtreme and Xtreme Pro forum is for discussing the way this program works, not the way this forum works.

Thank you for understanding.
    John.