Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Lost horizontal and vertical side handles

Im a long time Corel through Studio and Xara user and just had to buy Xara Web Designer -
    Its Great and im delighted a brilliant tool when you consider that normally I would be using Xara Xtreme to create all my graphic elements - exporting them out to my main design package and starting work there.

Now I just hit publish - for Brochure sites its saved me a whole bunch of time - Stunning!

However after reading through the FAQ's the entire Help section I cant for the life of me understand why I loose the horizontal and vertical side handles after say a rectangle has been skewed.

Im sure there is a very good reason for it - but help me out here guys

PS I like the colour scheme of the UI (Just glad it can be undone lol)

Default Re: Lost horizontal and vertical side handles

Post moved to it's own thread.

DavidDB;

I may be way off base with this but...

I've run into this problem a couple of times and I found that lowering the page magnification to 50% (for example) allowed me to see the handles.

Under certain circumstances (and magnifications) rotating an image moves the handles outside of the viewing area. The handles aren't gone -- you just can't see them.

Ron

I think I may have spotted that

But no sadly I can zoom in out fine - Once my rectangle is squelched either way I only get 4 handles and not the normal 8

Can you not repeat it on your Xara Web designer?

Hi, Daviddb,
    I think Webdesigner only shows 4 handles, unlike other programs. Not sure tho'
    JimM
    P.s Not too familiar with Web designer6 I prefer Xtreme Pro

I think I'm right in saying that WD deliberately only displays the four nodes so that the object cannot be squished, which causes problems in browsers. Xtreme is, primarily, for graphics creation so objects can be squished. 'Squished' being a technical term you understand
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

DavidDB;

You're right (of course) whenever an object in WD6 rotates from true vertical the number of handles change from 8 to 4.

I don't know if this is by design or if it's a "bug" -- but you can get back your 8 handles by rotating the object back to true vertical. However, that's not as easy as you'd think, because there appears to be no way to monitor how much rotatation is in effect.

When you first rotate an object you can see what the degree angle is -- but as soon as you "unfocus" the object the degrees of rotation changes to zero. And using the ruler/grid and the snap feature does not seem to help.

Very strange

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Lemire View Post
    I don't know if this is by design or if it's a "bug"
    This is the same as WD5.
    It's by design to protect web objects from accidental distortion, in particular text areas and photographs.

You can still distort if you wish by unlocking the aspect ratio (paddlock icon) - but this is not recommended for text areas.

Well Thanks all for your input But I have lived with 8 handles for 20 + years - I guess it was time I moved on lol

I do indeed use Xtreme Pro too so it came as a bit of a shock - I thought I had broken it lol

I hope they leave these sort of things well alone in the Next Version of Xtreme Pro - Im too old for such shocks

This doesn't affect Xtreme or Xtreme Pro