Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Chapter 12 - Globe Partners New Logo File

Just in case this would helpful to someone, I attached my "rendition" of Gary's suggested improvements to the Globe Partners logo.

Note that I used Arial as the font because I don't know which font is used in the book image (therefore that is a discrepancy).

Also, my globe was traced with way too many lines and points but, I wanted details and I sure got my share of them.

Gary, look at what you've done! I can actually draw something that isn't a poke in the eye. thank you!

HTH,

John.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: Chapter 12 - Globe Partners New Logo File

You did great, John!

It's not critical that you do a lot of clean-up, if the new and improved graphic is destined for the Web at a small size, because when you write a vector design out to bitmap, a lot of 1 pixel or slimmer edges resolve down to either nothing, or a color compatible blur.

Your after-school assignment is to go dig up a better typeface than Ariel!

Everyone chooses this because it's at the top of font lists. I'd love to see a font list in Xara Xtreme 6 that has a Randomize button, I'm serious.

FYI, I used Brittanic for the word "GL_BE" and Serpentine Sans for "Partners". You'll find freeware knock-offs around, and What the font at MyFonts.com is an excellent way to discover what typeface is used in bitmaps.

My Best
    (Everyone get out on Earth Day weekend!),

Gary
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    You did great, John!

<snip>

FYI, I used Brittanic for the word "GL_BE" and Serpentine Sans for "Partners".

Gary
    Thanks for the encouragement Gary.

Just in case this trick I used is useful to you and hopefully someone else as well; to ensure the globe was nicely placed, I actually typed the entire word "GLOBE" then I made the globe image somewhat transparent using the transparency tool. I dragged the image over the "O" and visually ensured that it was proportional and well centered with the "O" underneath.

After that I took the transparency out and grouped the type and the image. It worked well for me. If you know an easier way, I'm all eyes here

John.
    IP

This is just a different way of getting there: when you want to replace a character with a graphic, you can highlight the text with the Text tool, then apply partial transparency.

Actually, if you're going to export it to a bitmap logo, you could position the graphic in place over the text, go to wireframe quality display mode, do your positioning, and then go back to High Quality: highlight the character to be replaced, and then make it 100% transparent.

I hate simplifying text to curves to be able to break up stuff, because you never know when you'll need the text as text in the future.

My Best,

gary
    IP

Going to wireframe quality makes perfect sense. Less work than setting a transparency and then removing it.

Another good tip. Thanks!

John.
    IP

Good free alternatives for the typefaces I used are
    Bastion-which came with Xara Xtreme. Very close to Globe Gothic.
    Spin cycle sort of works as a replacement for Serpentine. Genuine Serpentine will set you back about $30 for the family. There are other well-crafted free typefaces here:

FontSquirrel Free typefaces

Read the terms and conditions for the typefaces you want to download and use.

My Best,

Gary
    IP

Hi Gary,

Great site to know about. I'll download the "knock-offs" and rework the logo.

Thanks!

John.
    IP