Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Retirement Of WebStyle

I'm sure that the graphics guru's loitering around these parts will think I'm nuts, but opinions are fine.

I've purchased licenses for most of the Xara product line, with upgrades as appropriate, over 10+ years. Quite happy to support a company that has massively superiod products.

Unfortunately, despite having just upgraded to WebDesigner 6, I'm feeling very underwhelmed that WebStyle has been retired because for me it did what it said on the tin, was simple to use to knock up headers etc, and I was a happy bunny.

I keep seeing references to Xtreme Pro, WedDesigner, etc being the replacement for WebStyle. Well it might be for people who have graphics artistry skills - but I'm not among them.

Sure, WebStyle was a little bit cranky in some areas, but it did the business. If I wanted a header bar for a web site it was done in a few clicks. Whereas with WebDesigner (etc) it looks like I have to spend yonks trying to construct a very simple comparison.

Xara have obviously chopped off the upgrade path for WebStyle. Sure it installs (with some persuasion on Windows 7), but I'm really, really disappointed that I'm being hung out to dry and told that the great future is with WebDesigner. It might be for those who want a graphics editor, but some of us numbskulls just want a point-and-click means of getting simple graphics.

Andrew

Default Re: Retirement Of WebStyle

Moved to Webstyle Forum..

Welcome to TG Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by KazMax View Post
    If I wanted a header bar for a web site it was done in a few clicks. Whereas with WebDesigner (etc) it looks like I have to spend yonks trying to construct a very simple comparison
    How is that so complicated? In Web Designer:

1. Open "Headings" section of the Designs gallery. (1 click)
    2. Double click the heading design you like. (2 clicks)
    3. With the text tool click on any text in the heading to edit it.

That's 6 clicks in total including "Heading" section opening, Text tool activation and editing 2 texts in the heading.

Is it easier in Webstyle?
    Last edited by covoxer; 23 April 2010 at 06:52 AM.
    John.

Thanks for that covoxer. I can see this WebDesigner has possibilities after all....

I think that I'm probably phased by the rich feature set of WebDesigner more than anything else. WebStyle was maybe a little easier to use for members of the numpty brigade, of which I have a long association. With WebStyle, you wanted a banner or something, it was an option on the main screen and you could then page through full-size images of the type to select the one that fitted the requirement. By comparison, with WebDesigner it appears that you have to go thumbing through the gallery where after choosing the section you then select from a miniscule postage stamp sized image, only to find after rendering to full size that just maybe it isn't the ideal graphic you are looking for, and it is back to the gallery for another go.

My honest feeling is that whilst WebDesigner is clearly very good, just maybe it is a little too complicated for the seriously simple tasks. WebStyle had its faults, but I think it was broadly simpler than WebDesigner to use. Just maybe there is a market slot for something a bit simpler than WebDesigner, perhaps Xara are trying to play with the big boys like Corel by offering a super-dooper graphics editing package (I do have a copy of the latest PaintShop Pro to compare this with), but I find their product is way too complex for doing simple things.

However, I've learnt something already so thanks for your patience.

Hi Andrew,

Webstyle may be retired, but it still works.

I have Webstyle installed on my Vista and Windows 7 computers.

You can incorporate your Webstyle menus and banners in Web Designer.
    The follow link explains how to put a Webstyle or Menu Maker navbar into a Web Designer page. http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...articleid=2741

Placing a banner is easier because it simply requires putting the image on the page where you want it. An animated banner can be placed using a placeholder. Search for animated gif on the forums and you will find many examples.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update