Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Font Changing

Default Font Changing

Hey all! Complete newbie here and after hunting and searching thought I would finally sign up and ask for help

Using Web Designer 6 and trying to keep the Ancestory font for some text but when publishing the font changes (as WD6 warns me before hand!). Is there any work around for this as other font options are pretty boring looking.

Thanks! I fear this could be one of many post ha ha!

Default Re: Font Changing

Hi welcome

when someonr visits a website the fonts that are are displayed have to be fonts they have on their computer

this limits the fonts that can be published to a small set, often referred to as 'websafe' that are common to most if not all computers

if you convert your text to editable shape then I believe it will export as an image, but then it will not be readable as text by google etc

this about as far as my knowledge goes on the subject
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thumbs up Re: Font Changing

Ah I see! Well many thanks Handrawn that makes more sense now. I think the conversion to an image sounds like a better option rather than converting to another font and losing some nice detailing.

Many thanks!!

Hi Zippy and welcome to the forums

Converting to an image is a good way to get the font you want to use however I would not reccomend this if the text you are converting is part of the "main" content of your website, you see Search engines sch as google, yahoo etc etc can only read text and this is what they use to index your site, if all your content is images then you will not ranl well at all.

A good ti for main content on your site is when you click the font dropdown selection list near the top you will see a section entitled "web safe fonts" these font will be present on virtually all machines so are "safe" to use for content, althought maybe a little boring they will ensure search engines can read your site properly.

Hope that helps

Chris

Thanks Chris!

The main text within the pages will now be "websafe" fonts and I have chosen the title/business name as an image export.

Many thanks for your help too!

NO problem Zippy glad to be of help, that is the perfect solution

Chris

If you have to change the text to an image, can you add an additional text box under it with the text in a web-safe font, same color as background or maybe transparent? Does anyone know if Google, etc. will see that??

I have read somewhere that Google frowns on hidden text.
    You can add an ALT text attribute to the image which is a safe way to get Google's attention