Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Google Webmaster - Verifying a Xara Site

Hi. I know this should be a very simple thing but I am new to web design. I would like to add a site created in Xara web designer to Google and need to verify the site. Casn anyone give me step by step instructions on the easiest way to do this - via metatags maybe? Or uploading the google html file.

Default Re: Google Webmaster - Verifying a Xara Site

You can do it via meta tags if you wish you would use a placeholder named head and add the google code via the web properties dialogue, I always ude the html page option, you simply name a blank page whatever google tell you to name it then upload it to the root of your web hosting server and point google to it, you can then get rid of the page if you wish.

Its all very easy let me know if anyone if that reads like chinese and I can elaborate for you

Chris

I've tried both of the ways described here and each time I get a fail to verify. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I first created a new page, named it with the name that google gave me, then uploaded the website. I used the verification link they gave me and my page came up. I still got a failure. I then tried to use the Meta Tags but if you create a placeholder how do you make sure it goes in the <head>. I got a failure there also. With Frontpage it was easy you just looked at the html and inserted it then saved it. With Xara everything else seems easy, why is it so difficult to access the html code.

I got no answer from here. I suppose it was because I used an existing thread to ask the question. I finally figured out a method of putting the Google verification code in the <head> as a Meta Tag. I opened the Index HTML file with Wordpad, inserted the Meta Tag into the head of the document. Saved it and then uploaded directly into the host site using FTP overwriting the existing Index file. I then Did the verification which worked this time, then republished my original file back to the site. This process actually works but you need an FTP application to do it. Why do they make it so hard?

The correct way to place code in the <head> section is to create a placeholder object and name it <HEAD> (right-click the shape choose 'Names').
    Then add the google code to the Web Properties>>Placeholder>>Replace with HTML code: area.

OK, Learned something. I didn't know you could name placeholder. I saw that in one of the other posts but I didn't know what they meant by "naming the placeholder"

Thanks

PS, is there a simpler way to place a menu made in webstyle 4 into XWD?

Please start a new thread for new topics.
    Thanks

I've found it a lot easier to just upload the file with filzilla or through the hosting company website control panel.

Kash

I use TotalCommander for this and download HTML file from Webmaster and upload to the root folder.