Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Inserting pdf link and come back

Hello,

I am new with Xara, and need help with pdf links and WD6.

I inserted pdf as link and everything is nice when I use preview web page. I can open this pdf file, but I do not know how to close pdf and come back to web pages?
    With comand: export and preview web pages (websites), I can only close the whole web pages (or websites) instead of only pdf file.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Default Re: Inserting pdf link and come back

Hi arini and welcome to talk graphics.

One thing you can do is to open your pdf file in a new window. This way when the end user closes the pdf document, your website will still be there in the background.

To open the pdf in a new window, select your link for the pdf and open the link properties. In the Open Link In field select New Window (_blank) from the drop down list. Click apply and now anyone clicking on the link will have the pdf open in a new window.

Does that do what you are looking for?

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hi Eric and thanks.

First I said: yes, thank you, that I am looking for. But, it is not.

I have selected New Window (_blank); apply and ok, and nothing happened.

But I did not make Link to file (PDF, AVI, etc); then probably I can use New Window function.
    I drag&droped pdf and selected "insert as link". On the page I have only normal pdf icon which is placehodler object (replace with HTML code).

Do you have any other ideas?

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi arini,

I would try one of the following things, some of which I can not test here at work...

1) Just use the link to PDF functionality that you described in your last post. This link can be attached to a grapic file (i.e. a small pdf icon) just as easily as it can be attached to text. But you might have to create your own icon for this.

2) If the pdf has to be imbeded in your website, you could try placing it on a popup layer. This way when the user clicks on the pdf, the popup layer will close in theory. (I can't test this right now.)

3) If you are creating the pdf yourself, you might be able to insert a link in it to take you back to your website.

Let me know how it goes.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hi Eric,

I`ve decided to make my own icon, link to file and open link in new window. Till now, looks fine.

Thank you very much

Arini

It is worth mentioning that the preview capabilites are not anywhere near fully featured they are more there so you can see how thing look such as mouseovers etc, to get a true prospective of how this will work you need to get it on your webserver then hit the pdf link generally pdf's will always open in a new tab, I have not used this function in WD6 yet but I am almost sure it will be set by deafult to do this, if not you would use the browsers back button that the Xara preview does not have unless you click the right mouse button.

Chris