Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default trimming feathered objects

I like using feathering for quick highlights and shadows, but I can't find a way to trim away to achieve the illusion of a sharp edge (see pic).
    Clivview and using subtract shape works, but then applies feather to the result or produces a bizarre effect - annoyingly grouping makes no difference as the same thing happens when the feathered object is within a group.
    Feather seems to be treated by the program as a top level effect that can't be modified.

Anyone worked out a way to achieve this or a nice workaround? I'm tempted to bring the drawings into photoshop and paint on the highlights and shadows, but this will slow things down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	71516  

Default Re: trimming feathered objects

Quote Originally Posted by highfrontier View Post
    Clivview and using subtract shape works, but then applies feather to the result...
    When you have a clip view applied to the feathered object and want to alter the feathering setting used, first you have to select the clipped object for editing.
    John.

Create a bitmap copy of the feathered object then slice away what you don't want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-04-19_194317.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	71520  

Like John said, select the object inside the clipview and change the feathering on that only. You can do that either by using the keyhole icons that show up with the clipview is selected or by holding down Ctrl and clicking on the object.

Phil

just for the record: ctrl + click works with groups too
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

thanks all.
    It wasn't the original feather I was wanting to change, just trim some of the feathered area leaving a sharp edge to part of it. This doesn't seem to be possible as a combine>subtract option because the feathering just re-applies itself to the subtracted shape, even though the trim was made after the feather.

However, I didn't know that what I was after can be achieved by setting the clipview shape to unfilled, and can even be feathered afterwards to achieve a nearly-sharp edge effect.
    Probably worth mentioning this in the help for v6 - there's functionality that users won't know about unless they experiment or visit this forum.

That's something else I don't need to go into photoshop for now, highlights and shadows are now a heck of a lot easier
    Attached Files Attached Files