Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Uploade Problems to Server with WD6

Hi Soquili,
    Nope, I'm like a fish out of water with command lines. And now, this is the only log I can get from Xareg. When trying to upload the site, I'm disabling anti-virus, firewall and such... but I think AT&T has me behind a firewall also, but it would be set low.

Thanks for everyone's help, it's much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	log2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	71522  

Default Re: Upload Problems to Server with WD6

Hi,
    Sorry for posting again, but I managed to get a log 8 pages long. This is the last one, if more are needed please let me know.

Thanks again!

Name:	109.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	71525  

Thom, have you tried setting your FTP connection type to 'Active' (using XaReg) ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	active.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	71527

Also, how much web space do you have left at the host?

Hi Thom,

It seems that the connection is timing out while attempting to upload image number 156. Previous uploads completed without incident.

What is your connection speed, and is there sufficient space on your web host for the site you are attempting to upload?

Even with sufficient space, a slow connection will timeout before all files can be uploaded. Using a 3rd party ftp application and transfering files in small numbers can get around a slow connection timeout.

When you export your site you select where to place the files. All the files needed for your site are in the folder you chose, along with the subfolder created by WD6.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,
    I running DSL, and have 150GB Space with 1,500GB Transfer without anything else taking up space. I've tried loading the site dozens of times now, and it doesn't fail at the same place each time. It ranges for uploading around 10% to 80% of the site before stopping. The error message is always the same, "Server Time Out." I tried making the change you suggested, and failure ranged from 10 to 30% with 4 tries.

As for using another FTP program, I really don't want to get into it. While it might be the logical thing for someone who's more versed with this stuff, for me it would just be an additional burden. I'm spending way too much time trying to get the site online as it is, and need to be out taking photos.

Since my deadline has passed, time isn't important now. Would it be wise to delete the site and start fresh?

Thanks for the help,
    Tom

Name:	111.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	71538   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	113.jpg 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	71539  

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    As for using another FTP program, I really don't want to get into it. While it might be the logical thing for someone who's more versed with this stuff, for me it would just be an additional burden.
    I understand perfectly why you say it now, but I can assure you that it is simplicity itself and of no more burden than sending emails.

Grab a copy of the free FileZilla, enter the same details into the site manager as you have done in WD.
    Connect to your host and open the root folder (usually /public_html) - you'll see the files you have already uploaded.
    You can drag'n'drop your site files into the remote window and FileZilla will transfer them.
    If the timeout errors still occur, then your connection is failing you. See your ISP for troubleshooting.

Hi Sledger,
    Okay, you talked me into it, though I'll admit it looked intimidating. But you're right, it wasn't a big deal using your instructions. I noticed it kept timing out, and reconnecting, but managed to get a site up and running. I unfortunately loaded the wrong files, but it should be easy to replace when I have more time.

And on a side note, during loading I had a Windows "Pop UP", and after loading had one concerning Firefox. Both have been remedied, so I hope they were part of the problem.

Thanks very much to all of you, never would have figured it out on my own.

Name:	110.jpg 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	71545   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	114.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	71546  

Yes it's safe to click 'Unblock' for the Windows Security prompt regarding Web Designer, and confirm to 'Disable' for the FF prompts.

Glad you bit the bullet and gave it a try
    The rest as they say, is up to you

Hi Tom,

The random time out is a very good indication it is the host server is dropping your link. This can be due to poor data through put because of noise on some portion of the link (internet links travel over many varying routes during transfer of packets). Noise on a data connection can be due to packet collisions. Are you using wireless connections within your home? Have you setup MAC address filtering as well as a strong security access policy/password?

You mentioned you were experiencing the problem with several different destination servers.

Have you tried a power off then back on reset of your DSL router and/or any wireless switch/router/hub?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili,
    I'm hard wired, but had AT&T do a line check for noise when I first experienced the problem. I'm outside Atlanta and aware humidity can cause problems, so I regularly check the connection where it enters my house, but it's fine. However, when I've ran Trace Route, I found it's transferred wireless somewhere down the line, so that might be a weak link, I'm not sure.

As for the router, it's turned off every time I go offline, and rebooted when coming back on. And yes, I have pretty tight security running, and check regularly for virus and defrag monthly. I'm obviously no whiz with computers, but there's certain things I watch for. Not sure any of this helps answer, but maybe there's something to give a clue.

Oh, and to Sledger...
    Yes, I didn't hesitate to unblock Windows and disable the Firefox Java. I just chuckled thinking how long it took them to let me know they needed attention.

Thanks to both of you. I Really like WD6. Now if I can fight my senility to remember how to work with it. I might be poking my head back in with more questions, there's lots of hidden functions I haven't gotten around to yet.

I'll certainly recommend it to others. Thanks again, greatly appreciate all the help!

tom