Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Illustrator CS5

Default Illustrator CS5

Well it came out this week with numerous enhancements like the following:
    Draw accurately in perspective, create variable-width strokes, paint with lifelike brushes.

The two bits that I really like is the way that you can draw and object on a 2D plane and then when your drag it onto the new perspective grid it snap to that perspective. See in operation here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/ill...D=0&npObjID=17

The other features that I would use a lot would be the ability to draw line and shapes only inside that object and the ease of placing an object behind with a click of a button. See it in operation here: http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/ill...D=0&npObjID=13

Will I buy it for myself, think not! I will try and get my employers to buy it but that will be like "f_rting against thunder" as they think that AI CS is enough to do my work.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Default Re: Illustrator CS5

This looks like a substantial improvement on CS4...very tempting.
    Thanks for the links.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

create variable width strokes: that is the ability to sculpt and edit your own stroke shapes on the fly

and the perspective drawing, very useful.... shape builder tool could speed a lot of things up....too

it looks good...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

WOW, It is like an autoclipview, I think It should be posted in Dear xara....
    Thanks Albacore.
    Javier
    IP

Yes that's taking the Pathfinder to a new level Jvila. Also for anyone doing cartoons that create variable width strokes tool would be very handy indeed. Still nearly £200 pounds for an upgrade to me is an awful lot of freelance work to get my money back.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I knew this was just out and I have been reading some of the reviews. Of course the updates make it more of a bloat from the CS$ version which I have. The upgrades are steep in price. I have spent a lot on Illy over the years, why I'm not sure. I use the Extreme Path plug-in to help in node editing. My request for years has been A b-spline tool and scanning ability, of course you are supposed to use Photoshop for that. Creature House Expression 3 has had variable stokes for 10 years. That stroke is not exactly the same as Illustrator where you pull on a stroke like liquid ink, which Real Draw has.

Without a doubt if you need to learn the program there is more tutorials on Illustrator and Photoshop than any other programs out there. I think I will wait a while to upgrade and give it time to shakedown with the tutorials that I think will be forthcoming.
    IP

All of the these illustrator drawing features are all very well, but as an illustration program how good is it at publishing websites?

See my point - major features left out and neglected - you wont find Xara wasting their time with that new illustrator nonsense. While Xara continues to makes strides in the important stuff - web publishing, it's leaving illustrator way behind the game. Who needs illustration features in a vector drawing program anyway.. ? Nobody is going to pay to get that kind of stuff until it adds web publishing to the mix.

;-)
    IP

I rather think adobe's web publishing is in another program of theirs - illustrator is geared for printing first and foremost...

I also think vector is just as useful, if not more so, for print than web
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I rather think adobe's web publishing is in another program of theirs - illustrator is geared for printing first and foremost...
    Yes, that's where they've got it wrong - nobody want an illustrator program that doesn't publish to the web, so they shoul include Dreamweaver as part of illustrator and sell Dreamweaver Lite.

I also think vector is just as useful, if not more so, for print than web
    Nah, if it isn't a web publishing feature, it's pointless.

;-)
    IP

well Paul, I'm not going to defend adobe's business model, but it is as it is ...

the second comment you make -it's ironic right
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP