Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Russian doll filing

Do not export your site into the files folder of your design file!!!
    The files folder of your design file, in this case called "countdown_web_files" contains files that will be automatically placed in your htm_files folder on every export. It contains the flash and gif files that you have in your placeholders for example. But you can also add any custom files and subfolders to it and all this will be exported along with your site on every export.
    Now as you export your site into this folder, the next time you do export, the previously exported site is placed into the files folder of the exported site. And so on.
    This is not the bug. It is expected to work this way. You just have to know what "countdown_web_files" folder is there for and how it works (explained in help).
    Last edited by covoxer; 19 April 2010 at 05:59 AM.
    John.

Thanks covoxer, I'll try that.

Regarding bugs. Its a rare program that does not have any bugs in it. Whats even rarer is a company like Xara that cares passionately about fixing them. The two that I know of have been welcomed by Xara support and are working to fix them now.

Having spent at least 6 hours working on a web page then trying to just save it safely, as I am sure you are aware, can be rather frustrating. So you can understand that I would consider it a bug after all that has gone on.

The fact that I spent so much time on it is a testimony to the program, to the depth and ease of use, to the strong structure and polished results given by XWD.

Attributes that you and the other regular posters must already know and love, otherwise you would not spend your valuable time here.

I think XWD is the dogs bollx, the cats pyjamas. I easily spend 4-6 hours a day working on it, learning from it and hopefully create something that lasts from it.

And that would not even be remotely possible if the program was not cared for by so many people here and beyond.
    If XWD had dozens of bugs I'd still use it because of that.

I wish we had voice forums sometimes as its hard to convey sincerity in text, easy to misunderstand but I always appreciate what you guys do and hope that one day I can pay back to others what you have taught me.
    I come here as I am sure lots of other people do with smiles on and not one of the sooooo many moaning minies.

Now, if I did not have to go to work I'd be running to XWD and my lil project.
    Ok so I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder LOL
    Last edited by Dr_Who; 19 April 2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: grammer
    If I had any more brains I'd be a half wit !

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    Having spent at least 6 hours working on a web page then trying to just save it safely, as I am sure you are aware, can be rather frustrating. So you can understand that I would consider it a bug after all that has gone on.
    Just to make the terminology question clear. The "bug" is when the program does things not expected by the developer. The user mistake is not a bug of the program no matter how frustrating it is. For example, if you unintentionally format disk C: and loose whole lots of important data it will not mean in any way that format.com has a bug of any sort.
    John.

Hi Dr Who,

Totally agree with you....Xara is awesome and the support is even better.

There is no question that there are bugs in the program (I haven't noticed them but others have posted) but as you say, they are being addressed. It's awesome to know how many people care about how this program works and how well it works and how well it's supported, a very rare thing these days when most are just concerned with the bottom line. Those ones tend to forget that if you give good service and a great product then you will survive the economic wars.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

And to clarify "all that has gone on..." Two bugs are in dark skin exporting or importing results in crashing, and the float button to export jpeg/png is reversed in the light skin.

Xara today said this," We will be viewing the files in order to try and determine the cause. its an odd problem with a small percentage of customers affected but nevertheless we would like to identify why and resolve the issue"

Anyhoo I am drifting off topic. I will do as you suggested covoxer.

Oh I think you're doing alright Dr Who. You have received lot's a free support and even gone back in time and got another 30 days free trial of WD.
    No need to talk about known bugs, we're just trying to sort our your particular problem in this thread.
    Oh and by the way, it appears you no longer care about the floating back to top thread you started which has a working solution ready since yesterday for you to try and reply??
    Remember this forum thrives on positive feedback and good vibes. Xara thrives on supportive customers.

Sorry Sledger I have been concentrating on this problem and I still have not got my lil head around it.
    In a nut shell....you save your site in one folder and export it to another ?

I am quietly going mad.

I create a one page web site, I want to save it so I save it to a new folder on my desktop called onepage.
    Now I want to publish it, so I get the pop up to export it before publishing.
    So do I export it to the folder onepageweb but not to the any other folders inside ?

I guess I am confused as to the differance between saved and exported!!

'Saving' is writing a .web file (with a possible support folder that includes imported files) to your HDD; 'exporting' is converting your .web file into a .htm file (and an index_htm_files folder) to your HDD. The .web file is for later editing in XWD; the .htm file is for publishing to the web. I'd keep them seperate.

Make sure that when you re-export the .htm file after subsequent editing, you do so to the same folder you initially used. This way XWD6 can keep track of any changes and only publish changed pages/page elements (provided that you checked the "Re-publish changed files only" box on the Web Properties/Publish tab.

Thanks I think its gone in.
    What was throwing me was having to name the exported file and my obsession with neatness in keeping everything in one place.
    I made a new folder with the .web file inside and another folder along side with the exported stuff in it. And so far so good

http://bit.ly/cAlz0M