Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default WD6 Questions and Free Hosting Offer

1) Has anyone used the free hosting plan with the new WD6. Any info on what you get? Is it any good?

2) I don't like the design templates, what are my options? I don't know html, can I use non xara templates and if so, which ones?

3) Site management is weak compared to Webplus, anyone have any tips or tricks on how to manage site pages?

Default Re: WD6 Questions and Free Hosting Offer

Quote Originally Posted by asignpro View Post
    1) Has anyone used the free hosting plan with the new WD6. Any info on what you get? Is it any good?
    I have signed up but not yet used it because the sign up process felt like I was using a 14.4k dial-up modem. Maybe the servers were flooded, I haven't been back so far. Sounds like a good deal though.

2) I don't like the design templates, what are my options? I don't know html, can I use non xara templates and if so, which ones?
    No you cannot use non-Xara templates because you cannot import HTML. Web Designer is not a HTML editor.
    You can design your own using the tools provided or try some of the templates other members have uploaded to TG (use search).

3) Site management is weak compared to Webplus, anyone have any tips or tricks on how to manage site pages?
    Not sure what you are looking for here, and I don't know WebPlus to make any comparison?
    You can use an FTP client for publishing and managing your site files.

Thanks for the info, I did find some templates that have a .psd file. I was able to use it with WD, but requires some work to use. I used the free template monster files.

Anyone else used the free hosting? How is it?

Hosting - how do you measure good?

Does anyone really buy software for the free hosting?

Take the hosting as a free bonus rather than integral reason for choosing software.

Free hosting is one of the selling points for me. But if it (hosting) is hard to use, does not work, slow, lousy, banner ads, unreliable, etc. then I need to know.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 06 April 2010 at 08:37 PM.

If it is free, then try it. I do not think there is any obligation to use it if you do not like it.

Are making your purchase decision of Web Designer contingent on free web hosting? This seems very short sighted and putting the cart before the host. There are so many hosting companies who have very inexpensive hosting if this is your sole criteria then find cheap hosting then find a web design program.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    If it is free, then try it. I do not think there is any obligation to use it if you do not like it.
    It's not a free part of the demo, that was the reason for my question.

Are making your purchase decision of Web Designer contingent on free web hosting?
    Xara is competing with other companies for sales, so having a good reliable hosting package sweetens the deal.

This seems very short sighted and putting the cart before the host. There are so many hosting companies who have very inexpensive hosting if this is your sole criteria then find cheap hosting then find a web design program.
    I did not ask your opinion of me, get off your soap box and answer the question or just shut up... how I do things is my business.

It was a simple question...how is the free hosting?
    Answer: I use it, works, no problem here or it sucks you should try <insert name here>.

You guys <moderators> spend more time moving posts, why not just answer the question or put up a FAQ at the top of the forum? I rather use the FAQ then waste anymore of my time or yours.

I did not ask your opinion of me, get off your soap box and answer the question or just shut up... how I do things is my business.
    It's unfortunate that when you ask for free advice, you may get more than you bargained for. I don't think anyone is particularly interested in your business nor in the way you address people.

Xara's site implies that the free web hosting is part of Magix-Online World

Magix-Online World is here:

http://www.magix-online.com/uk/web_hosting.1884.html

you may wish to check it out yourself - get the job done right - eh

as far as I can see you do not even need to buy WD6 ... you can register for free, quote from site:

Register for free

To use MAGIX free web hosting you only have to register and activate an free MAGIX Online World account. You will get 500 MB free webspace (with FTP account) and a personal web address (http://yourname.magix.net/public) for your website.
    Last edited by handrawn; 07 April 2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: clarification
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Just had a peek, saw this at the bottom:-

*MAGIX web hosting only supports the delivery of static contents. Data, which must be interpreted in order to be correctly displayed (such as .php, .asp etc.) or has to be edited by programmers at the server end, is not supported (except for Java script). In these cases, data will be displayed or prepared via HTTP "as is". In addition, no databases are supported (MySQL, Access etc.)

I'm sure somebody who buys superb web-creation programs at superb prices just for free hosting wouldn't be interested
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64