Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WD 6 Questions and Comments

1. I don't like the new black ide screen in WD 6. It's hard to read at times and really slows down my productivity. Anyone know how to change it to the white background like WD 5?

2. The help menu seems more explanitory than WD 5 but there are still some bugs. For instance, when in the help menu and I click on the Nav Bar topic under the Contents tab then try to print the selected heading and all subtopics, the print is smaller than other topics. I can make it a little bigger but it's not the same as the other subjects. I have printed the photo handling topics and the nav topic but no other topics so don't know how they fare.

3. Is there any way to display the photo filename on the page without having to type it in? downloading and renaming 15 or more photos is a real pain.

Ron

Default Re: WD 6 Questions and Comments

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    1. I don't like the new black ide screen in WD 6. It's hard to read at times and really slows down my productivity. Anyone know how to change it to the white background like WD 5?
    There was a recent thread discussing this here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=44503

3. Is there any way to display the photo filename on the page without having to type it in? downloading and renaming 15 or more photos is a real pain.
    Not too sure what you are asking here Ron?
    If you are referring to the exported name of the photograph, then no - WD numbers exported images.
    Of course you can add ALT text, but this has to be manually entered too.
    The placeholder method will retain your photo original names, but you have to manually create 15 or more placeholders.

There is nothing that can automatically display a name on the page without you having to enter the name in a text line..

Sledger:

Thanks for the info on changing the dark gray to light.

I was afraid I would have to be content with the numbered photos. Sure would be nice if I could use the filename though. The autogenerated number means that I don't have control over my filename if I want to save the photo to file from the published web page.

Thanks again for your response.

Ron

The autogenerated number means that I don't have control over my filename
    Then use the Image Placeholder instead.
    John.

Talking Re: Image Filenames

How about a future option like this???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-filenames.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	71245  

Replace with graphic file is already there on the placeholder tab.
    "Save image as" will be present in the following update/version though in form of the special object name. It may be added to the interface later if it will be proven to be very useful and safe feature to use by anyone including novice and inexperienced users.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by covoxer View Post
    Replace with graphic file is already there on the placeholder tab.
    True. That's where I copied it from. :-) Just thought it would be handy to have the option on the same dialog tab.

I understand the need to keep it safe for novices, but the option to use or not use could include a warning, I suppose.

Thanks for listening...

I know this is not the Dear Xara Web Designer forum, but since you guys are talking about how it could be made easier to import pictures while retaining the original name, why not also include in the menu when right-clicking an image: "Use original file name".

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    why not also include in the menu when right-clicking an image: "Use original file name".
    Well, basically because there is no original name. All the exported images are result of rendering vector objects. Some of them may have bitmap used for the fill, other may have a multiple bitmaps (if you have a group for example), yet others have none. So there's no such thing as an original file name.
    So if you want to insert the original bitmap file, with it's original name, just as you do in the classical web authoring tool like Dreamweaver or whatever, use image placeholders.
    John.

I mean right-clicking an individual photograph. And since every imported photograph is a copy of the original that is located somewhere on the computer, it has an original name. Anyway, that was my thinking...