Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default question about object names

Hi,
    - i create an object and give the object the name "object1". Now i copy the object with right mouseclick and move (or ctrl-c and ctrl-v). I rename the copied object from "object1" to "object2". But now the name of the first object is already changed to "object2". Is this a bug or a feature?

- The dropdown list in the name dialog should show all names of objects used elsewhere in the current document, but why can i see also names of deleted objects?

- Would it be possible to implement a feature to give an object an additional class name?

Sebastian

Default Re: question about object names

Hello Sebastian

I imagine because you are modifying a named object, that the changes you are making are applied to the original named object.'

Instead, make your duplicate first, then name each one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    I rename the copied object from "object1" to "object2". But now the name of the first object is already changed to "object2".
    Instead of "Rename" button on the Name dialog you have to remove the name from the new object and then add a new name. "Rename" feature changes the name as applied to all objects in the document. So if you rename "object1" to "object2" you will change all occurrences of the "object1" name in the document to "object2".
    - The dropdown list in the name dialog should show all names of objects used elsewhere in the current document, but why can i see also names of deleted objects?
    Because all names that were used are still stored in the document even if they were removed from all objects in case you may like to re-apply them again. Same as with the Bitmaps in the bitmap gallery. When you save the document though, all the not used names are removed. So they persist only during the editing session.
    - Would it be possible to implement a feature to give an object an additional class name?
    There's nothing impossible. For feature request please post in the Dear Xara forum to make sure your proposition will be noticed.
    John.

Hello,
    thank you for the answers