Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: WD6 and Photo Popups

OK, new web from scratch with WD6. Just a simple page with a few images on it.

When I export it and open it locally with IE8, I still get the photo opening as a new page in the same window, even though I specifically allow blocked content.

I tried the registry fix for Mark of the Web, but that toally broke the popups. When I click on one of the thumbnails, I simply get a spinning icon that never stops.

If I load up the web file in WD5 everything works as expected, including some other things that didn't work correctly under WD6.

It appears that some new "features" of WD6 are making headaches for me.

Could you please provide this new simple design that fails for you?
    Thanks.
    John.

Here you go. I forgot to mention the the popups work properly when published to the Internet.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by hurricane51; 19 April 2010 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Attachment did not attach.

It's impossible to tell what's wrong with your IE installation from your web files which work as expected in other browsers locally and IE when published even for you.
    Clearly there's another issue affecting your installation of IE which would probably require a hands-on inspection to correctly identify.

If you haven't done so already, please download the very latest IE8 from MS and 'Reset Internet Explorer settings' (internet options>>advanced).

I have downloaded your files and they work perfectly 'locally' here.

One suggestion if I may. I would not add a wall shadow to photo thumbnails because [a] The shadow is transferred to the large popup image and [b] owning to the shadow, the popup image is exported as a.png (jpg does not support alpha transparency). PNG's are much large and offer no benefits for photos which started off as JPG anyway.
    If you want a shadow behind your thumbnail photos, use a same size recatngle shape placed behind the photo thumbnail and apply a shadow to that. (see attached)
    Attached Files Attached Files

The attached exported page works correctly in all browsers here including IE6, IE7 and IE8.
    John.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wondered if there was a setting to suppress the shadows, but I guess not.

I'll reinstall IE8 as you suggested. It's the version that came with Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by hurricane51 View Post
    I wondered if there was a setting to suppress the shadows, but I guess not.
    Yes there is... Don't add them to the thumbnails, add them as demonstrated.

OK, after removing and reinstalling IE8 the problem persists.

I'm losing patience and will probably just live with it and trust that the popups will work correctly when published, or continue using WD5.

Sledger, thanks but I was looking for a global setting. Your suggestion is a procedure that must be repeated on every object -- much more labor intensive.

I'm losing patience and will probably just live with it and trust that the popups will work correctly when published.....
    I thought you had already established they they do?

I forgot to mention the the popups work properly when published to the Internet.
    It's also already been confirmed that your files export and view correctly by others.
    So we're looking at a local issue only here - please be patient with us, we can only go by what you tell us or known issues/conflicts

After you reinstalled IE8 did you reset to defaults as I mentioned?

Also, try creating a temporary new user profile for Windows and log on to that.
    Then view your exported site locally with IE8 (allowing the blocked content).

or continue using WD5.
    You can use the old photo pop-up script in WD6 too. To do so, add a "NoHighslide" name to the thumbnails that have to use the old photo pop-up script as used in WD5.
    John.