Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XWD6 and Text Display

I seem to have a problem with the way XWD6 handles text display.

When I export a site using XWD5, the text appears the same in the browser (IE8) as in the editor.

However, when I do the same thing with the same site using XWD6, it seems that as the point size of the text increases, the letter spacing increases more than is proportional. So the text with larger fonts looks artificially spaced out in the browser.

Text in this case is MS Trebuchet, which has been included in a number of versions of Windows now. The text is flush left.

I've attached a couple of small screen captures so you get the idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XWD5 Sample.gif 
Views:	140 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	71173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XWD6 Sample.gif 
Views:	146 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	71174  

Default Re: XWD6 and Text Display

Please provide the example design so we can check what's wrong.
    Thanks.
    John.

See the attachments above

Hi Hurricane,

I believe John is looking for the *.web file so it can be determined where it's gone wrong.

If you can attach that file, it will help get your problem solved rather quickly.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I'm running into a similar problem... using Arial - in WD6 I may be showing 1/2" right margin, but in both IE8 & Firefox it may be less than 1/4" margin... Lines still break at same places, it just looks like text grew slightly. Could be my Arial font?

It isn't severe enough to lose sleep over... but on some pages, text actually touched edge of site so I had to make larger margins in layout for it to not touch edge of page in browser. (I'm at 100% view in browser).

As was asked of Hurricane51, Xara devs would like the actually file in question to see what's wrong.
    If you can attach an example *.web (Web Designer 6 file) this would help.

I'm not sure whether it is WD6 or on my end - font issue. I'm going to check it out on my laptop a little later... if issue still there, I will attach my .web file.

I'm thinking it may be font issue because sometimes, in some - not all - menu windows (i.e. Coffee Cup Form Maker), type goes off past right side of window... so I'm thinking it may be more my system problem than WD6 problem.

I've checked some things like video card settings and display settings.

I'll post back when I've trouble shooted more on my end. I probably posted pre-maturely. Thanks.

OK, here's a sample page that shows the effect. If you open the web file in WD5, then export it, IE8 views the htm file with proper letter spacing.

If you open the web file in WD6, then export that, the htm page shows the letterspacing wrong (too wide).

Using a different browser is not an option. IE is the dominant browser and it needs to look right in IE.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The header text in your design has applied tracking 0.05em.
    In Web Designer you have no control over the text tracking so you must have created this text either in Xtreme or imported as RTF from other program that supports tracking.

The export result in XWD6 is more correct than in XWD5 as we have improved export of tracking.
    John.

Nearly all of the text in the website was created entirely in WD and nowhere else. The bulleted lists in small text was created in Word 2007, but that's the only thing. The headings are separate text blocks, so they should be unaffected.

I don't understand why it looks ok in the WD editor, but not when exported. Why would WD6 export it with added spacing yet not display it with the same added spacing in the editor?