Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is there a way to use the pen/shape tools to cut out a photo in XX5?

Is there a way that the pen tool or shape editor tools can be used to edit a photo? I have a photo of a car that I need to remove the background and only have the car visible (to be made into a wall graphic). I currently use PaintShop Pro but I'm not having a lot of luck with that program doing this, and wondered if there was a way to do it in XX5.
    Thanks,

Jim

Default Re: Is there a way to use the pen/shape tools to cut out a photo in XX5?

Zoom in a little and make your way round the bit you want to cut out [I prefer the shape editor tool] until the ends meet up. There will then be a black shape, select this and the picture then Arrange >> Combine Shapes >> Intersect shapes. Feather a little bit. Egg has done this video
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Default Re: Is there a way to use the pen/shape tools to cut out a photo in XX5?

Also here's a chap using the freehand tool to do the same thing.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Jim

It's pretty easy Jim. I did this one in less than 5 minutes the first time I tried....and I'm no genius...yet!

I used the second video which is shorter than Egg's however either video is more than acceptable for this process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kisa.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	71137  
    Last edited by Karateed; 03 April 2010 at 03:42 AM.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Hi Jim, here is some encouragement.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Thanks everyone. Once I see the technique and the steps to follow it's not as difficult as I thought.

Jim

Isn't Xara wonderful....my wife wanted a graphic 'cleaned' up in the middle. There was some fiddly bits and this type of method worked but sort of in reverse. It took me probably 1/2 hour to do....I love this program.....

I've attached the results, also the original, gold-image-1.jpg, the one with the gold in the middle.

Name:	goldframe.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	71153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gold-image-1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	71154  

Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Wonderful ... and fun!

Name:	hoodie.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	71176   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hendrix.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	71177  

JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64