Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem with Harry's Filters

Hello, I'm new to the forum and I have an unusual sort of plugin problem. I hope I can explain it clearly...here goes...

I recently purchased PSPX2 (not ultimate) and installed some of the filters I had used before in version X. (I no longer have version X)
    All was well until through file locations I installed Harry's Filters, which was in my plugins folder and it worked fine, but when I tried to install the next plugin it didn't show in the list, but when I selected Harry's the later filter was there instead of Harry!

I tried removing Harry's Filters through file>preferences>file locations and the filter went, but the title stayed in the list in PSP. Selecting it brought one of the other filters into play.

Nothing I do makes Harry's disappear from this list! I even tried totally uninstalling Harrys Filters from my computer and even when all trace of it had gone it still showed in the list, wouldn't allow other filters on to the list, and brought other plugins into play when selected. While Harry's was uninstalled whichever plugin I selected the one below it in the list would appear, so I reinstalled Harry's into C\ Program Files, and entered in back into File Locations.

All filters that are installed up to here now work correctly, but no further plugins can get on to the list.
    My feeling is to leave well enough alone and get by without further plugins, but has anyone else ever had this problem and is there an answer, please?
    IP

Default Re: Problem with Harry's Filters

Instinct tells me to uninstall PSP 12 then reinstall it. Then point PSP to your installed plugins (possibly excluding Harry's?). This may solve the problem.
    By the way, I still have version X of PSP installed which seems to be the last truly reliable version released. In fact, I'd be inclined to return to the previous version (JASC PSP 9) for a totally reliable version of Paintshop Pro.
    Corel aren't exactlly trustworthy in their treatment of PSP since buying the JASC verion of PSP.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

Thanks, I thought that would be the verdict, but don't really want to go to that length.
    Luckily I also have PhotoImpact and can take things there to use the plugins if it's essential.

I've looked into version 9 and don't think it works on Vista.

Thanks for your help, I'll make the best of it
    Last edited by Vianne; 01 April 2010 at 09:30 PM. Reason: question no longer relevant
    IP

OK this may be down to your settings in File locations.
    Having created a plugins folder in the My PSP folder of My document and With both enabled and use sub folders checked. Al that left to do is Copy/Move the 8Bf folder there or in the case of Filters with installers Point to that location. Do Not add each filter as a new location if they are sub folders and sub folders Is Checked as that results in PSP not seeing them. The reason the PSP Effects Plugins can still display the names of filters that have been removed is because they are still In the cache file for plugins and Thats not been updated.
    You can delete the cache file In Corel >a pp date and it will be rebuilt The next time you open PSP Its exact location will depend on your version of Windows. Doing file locations cache should show you the Path.
    You can also delete from inside PSP by doing File > Preferences > Reset Preferences. and checking the box for delete Cache.
    IP

Thank you Trev,
    It didn't quite work as you say. Doing file locations cache gave a path through AppData and I can't even find App Data.
    Last time I had anything to do with app data I ended up having to reformat my computer, which is how I lost versionX and now have this version.

When I went to reset preferences the delete cache box was already ticked, so for a moment I thought all was lost, but then I ticked on all the boxes in there to restore everything to default and ended up with a screen full of toolbars, but Harry's path is gone!!

I have always made a separate folder of it's own for each filter and then keep all those folders in one I call "plugins are here" on a pen drive.
    This lets me know exactly what I have in there and I've always pointed to each one with no previous trouble, but I will certainly try just pointing to my main folder.
    Thanks so much.
    Vi
    IP

Just a quick note.
    I pointed it to "plug ins are here" and it said no plugins were loaded, so am now in the process of reloading each one.
    I must be the exception to the rule, I think

Vi
    IP

As I have never had/used Vista I cant give an answer for that but in WIN 7 click the start globe and start typing %appdata% and you should see the answer at the top such as Roaming and that will take you straight there then in roaming open the corel folder and look for X2 (If you have more then one version) .
    Xp was much easier as the pates are shorter and more direct C drive documents and settings > Username > appdate
    IP

I didn't put the % signs, just App Data but the result it gave me didn't list roaming.

But at the end of the day, you gave me the lead I needed and the answer was to tick ALL the boxes in "reset preferences".
    I've now reloaded those filters I want for now (including Henry's)
    Henry is totally behaving himself now and I have loaded more plugins since with no further problems.
    Phew! I'm so glad I found this site!
    Vi
    IP

Hi, I certainly am not savvy enough to lend any help here except for suggesting for you to ask Harry directly about your problem. He is so good at answering any questions right away on his forum.
    http://thepluginsite.com/forum/index.php
    hth,
    JT
    IP