Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF Link in WD6

Default PDF Link in WD6

Hello,

I created some text and linked a PDF to it. I then did export and preview and verified that link opened up PDF. I then deleted the link, but when I exported the site it still included the PDF file even though I had deleted the PDF text link.

I found that this same problem occurs when dragging and dropping a PDF into WD6 and then deleting the link (placeholder).

Can someone else please test this and see if the same problem occurs to them?

Thanks!

Default Re: PDF Link in WD6

Hi,
    for my understanding this is normal. If you drag and drop the pdf-file to the page and XWD6 create a link to the PDF, the pdf file will be copied to a support folder. All files in this folder are exported to the webspace. If you only delete the link to the pdf, the file still exists in the supportfolder.

see Document handling --> Support folders in the XWD6 help for further informations

Sebastian

Well, in my opinion this would be a real problem because you could never stop the PDF from be adding to your website. If you manually delete it from your site it will be added back again the next time you do a update and export your site again. Where is this "support folder" you mentioned located?

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by BQ View Post
    Well, in my opinion this would be a real problem because you could never stop the PDF from be adding to your website. If you manually delete it from your site it will be added back again the next time you do a update and export your site again. Where is this "support folder" you mentioned located?
    The support folder is located in the sam directory you saved your ".xar" or ".web" file. If you remove the PDF-file from the support folder, this pdf would not added to the website.

Sebastian

This doesn't sound like a very good solution to me. This is something that you would have to remember to check after you saved your project and most people wouldn't even know that they would have to do it.

Doesn't anyone else see a problem with this? I can't imagine it is just me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WD6_deleted_link_issue.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	71086  
    Last edited by BQ; 01 April 2010 at 08:03 PM.

Dont see it as a big deal tbh if it is that much of a problem to you do it the old way and have your pdf's in an external file on your web server then link to them in your Xara file.

Not rocket science really

Chris

Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by BQ View Post
    This doesn't sound like a very good solution to me. This is something that you would have to remember to check after you saved your project and most people wouldn't even know that they would have to do it.

Doesn't anyone else see a problem with this? I can't imagine it is just me.
    the "support folder" are not new with XWD6 i used this with XWD5 also.

Sebastian

A support folder (xxxx_web_files) as you refer to it was not part of WD5 when you "saved" your project (.web).

BQ, support (or cache) folders are used in WD5 and XX5/XXP5.
    For example, if you were to add flash via the placeholder option 'Replace with flash file, the Xara support folder was created and a copy of the flash file imported to that folder when (and where) you saved your project file (*.web or *.xar)
    The flash file was not removed if you later chose not to use that flash object in your final website.

I was referring to how WD5 handled PDF linked files. Now that I understand how WD6 is managing this I'm really not concerned with it anymore because I know what I have to do manually. Hope others understand it also.