Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: WD6 - Unhandleable unidentifiable exception in thread at 0x00000000

Not to worry - just like drought breaking rains, the longer you wait the less time there is before they arrive
    IP

ok I could not wait for the Rains,I through up some silver iodide and created my own solution

Registry, damn reg was at fault. I was thinking 0x00000000 means no code number so therefore maybe it was not lovely, fluffy,cuddly XWD but my not so fluffy registry.
    And the good peeps at Xara support were probably rolling their eyes waiting for me to realise it!

I ran Tweak Now powerpack 2010 and cleaned up my registry a lil bit. Backing it up before hand duh!!!

Now my Xara, no its not yours its mine! is working as if it were almost alive.

Runs off to check it still is... phew! yes it is.
    IP

Not for me. Ran CCleaner and Perfectspeed PC Optimizer to clean up my registry and it's still failing as reported. Very strange!

Edit: Played around a little more and it consistently happens only when I go anywhere near the top level of "My Computer" or use the folder dropdown list on the open/save dialogue box which would similarly expose the top level. I find I can use the up folder icon or chose a displayed folder, even use the Libraries or Desktop - just seems to crash when it has to display my drives. So at least I have a sort of workround in that I know what not to do, but still shouldn't be like this.
    Last edited by pbready; 09 April 2010 at 05:19 PM.
    IP

For the time I was unable to use XWD I was frustrated too, so I know what you are going through.

The only reason I checked my registry was annoyance at Xara being so slow to reply. And even then I was reluctant to touch the Reg. But I searched my favourite tech forum (http://forums.techguy.org/) for which reg editor to use.

The concensus seemed to be "Don't do it" but I had little choice I had to get XWD up and running again.
    So after going through lots and lots of posts I found out that Tweak Now (mentioned above) was the less risky to use. And so I backed up my reg and ran the software.

For me it worked, removing a rogue registry entry that was preventing XWD from working properly. I have no idea what entry it was,( I suspect an Adobe file) the list of recommended removals was quite long.

Had it not worked I was going to reinstall my OS, I would not have been a happy bunny.

If you do get a solution for your situation can you please post it here so others that come along might get help?
    IP

This is really frustrating.

Still waiting for Xara response.

In the meantime, I purchased Tweak Now based on Dr Who's post, ran & "repaired" registry.

Still no go.

Was able to open existing file (made with XWD5) via explorer, but when I previewed the page, mouse over layer is completely visible and links are broken.

Ran uninstall:repair. No help.

So now, besides not being able to open files properly, I have to wonder if the same problem is causing other errors or if I have a real mess.

Thankfully, XWD5 still works, even though I nearly had a coronary because it did crash and I got the DEP message... never had that before. So I added it to the execption list, along with XWD6.

Ugh!

If support ever comes back with an answer and that answer says nothing can be done, reinstall windows, I'm going to explode.
    IP

PBready and JDarchitecture can you tell me what computers you use for xwd6 please ?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Who View Post
    PBready and JDarchitecture can you tell me what computers you use for xwd6 please ?
    Gateway MX8716b laptop, 4GB RAM, 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 2 CPU T5300
    IP

Toshiba satellite here and I shall assume JD has a differant one too.

I ask because my xwd has gone back to not working with exactly the same faults I thought I fixed.
    If we all had the same computer then maybe it was a hardware fault.
    I was on the point of re installing vista then JD posted and now I think we may have a bug and hopefully Xara is ignoring us because they know about it too and don't want to say anything until they can fix it.
    Thats being optimistic.

So I will have to go back to my trial of XWD5 and hope the fix arrives before the trial runs out.
    If I had one I'd kick the cat!!!!

BTW did you get a Send Error Report pop up too before it crashed ?
    Last edited by Dr_Who; 10 April 2010 at 05:35 PM. Reason: additional info
    IP

I'm on a Gateway MT2423, 2gig, Vista HP SP2

WD5 worked fine. IMO, it would be a cop out to blame a particular machine for the problem.

I've sent the error report every time. Xara would be foolish to approach this as an isolated problem.
    IP

no fix to the specific problem, but at least one other member thinks that any 0x00000000 is definitely a bug:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...47&postcount=6
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP