Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plain text link - mouseover question (WD6)

Can somebody help with this problem in WD6:

I would like to create a link with plain text changing only colour on mouseover.
    Although 'use common website link colours' is disabled I don't get the custom colour which I
    defined for mouseover (orange). Instead, my mouseover text appears in the common mouseoff colour (blue).

Only when choose 'none' as common mouseoff color, I get the desired mouseover effect.
    Which of course is not a useful workaround because I need a common mouseoff colour for other links.

I attached a file to make clearer what I mean.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Plain text link - mouseover question (WD6)

- In the web properties select 'Use common website link colours';
    - Click the 'Website' tab;
    - Select the 'Mouse Off Colour' as custom and choose the colour for mouse off;
    - Select the Mouse Over Colour as custom and choose the colour for mouse over.

How does that work out for you?

When creating simple text links, you don't need a component on the MouseOver layer. You simply create text on the MouseOff layer, apply a link, then make sure that the text link colors are properly set on the Web Properties > Website tab.

You could also do as you've done — creating one element on the MouseOff layer, and a matching element on the MouseOver layer (but colored differently) — then applying a link. Note, however, that those two elements must be groups, not simple text strings. You had not grouped each text string, converting it to a graphic on export.

I've attached a sample WD6 file that has three links. The one in the middle is your original. On top is a single text element on the MouseOff layer. On the bottom is a sample of a link that uses two simple text strings, each of which has been grouped, on the two layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text_link_samples.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	70903  

Quote Originally Posted by Highfield View Post
    - In the web properties select 'Use common website link colours';
    - Click the 'Website' tab;
    - Select the 'Mouse Off Colour' as custom and choose the colour for mouse off;
    - Select the Mouse Over Colour as custom and choose the colour for mouse over.

How does that work out for you?
    That's actually not what I was looking for. This way I wouldn't need the mouseOver layer at all. I want to keep my common website link colours for other links on a site.

Thanks,
    Hubert

In that case (wanting an exception to the Website Link Colors), you'll need to group each text component in your soft-grouped button (my bottom example, above).

http://talkgraphics.com/showthread.p...025#post355025

Fair enough. I made the assumption that a custom link colour was required for one link on one page and common web standard colours for other pages.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    When creating simple text links, you don't need a component on the MouseOver layer. You simply create text on the MouseOff layer, apply a link, then make sure that the text link colors are properly set on the Web Properties > Website tab.
    I know that, but I want colours different from the common link colours

You could also do as you've done — creating one element on the MouseOff layer, and a matching element on the MouseOver layer (but colored differently) — then applying a link. Note, however, that those two elements must be groups, not simple text strings. You had not grouped each text string, converting it to a graphic on export.
    Yes, but I don't want the text converted to graphics.

I've attached a sample WD6 file that has three links. The one in the middle is your original. On top is a single text element on the MouseOff layer. On the bottom is a sample of a link that uses two simple text strings, each of which has been grouped, on the two layers.
    Thanks for your file, Curtis. What I'd like to achieve is your example No3 but withour having to group the text.

In WD5/Xtreme Pro5 this was not possible at all. Now in WD6 it seems to work - apart from refusing to choose the desired colour of the mouseover text.

I just looked at the WD6 Help, and found this:
    You can also choose to override the global text link colors for individual links if required. On the Link tab of the Web Properties dialog, unselect the "Use common website link colors" option. Then the selected link will be displayed using the text color that you set in the document, instead of the global text link color.
    I did not know that was possible. That must be what you (Yellosub) are talking about. I'm going to have to play with it.

EDIT: The instruction doesn't explain how to get unique colors for mouse/off/over/visited states ...
    Last edited by cursor; 28 March 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    I just looked at the WD6 Help, and found this:
    I did not know that was possible. That must be what you (Yellosub) are talking about. I'm going to have to play with it.

EDIT: The instruction doesn't explain how to get unique colors for mouse/off/over/visited states ...
    Yes exactly, that's what confuses me as well.

This question came up for WD5 also.
    The method I came up with can be seen here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...00&postcount=4

The method to override the global link colour simply removes the global link/hover/visited colours and retains the single colour you chose for the text.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 28 March 2010 at 08:26 PM.