Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Web Designer 6 First attempt

Yes, that's true....I would imagine most Xara users would want to see what's new and exciting with this software.....I most certainly did and so far am fairly impressed, but I impress easily.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Remember that Scotty posted in the > Web Designer / Xtreme forum and not the > Xara Galleries > Xara Web Gallery where it's fair for anyone to expect a link to a Xara created site rather than a proprietary file.

In this particular forum however, such files will always be attached to posts for anyone who wishes to download and view them, after all - WD6 may in fact be the very first Xara application a member has purchased - so a WD6 version *.web file is all they will have.
    This caveat is what you are faced with for any proprietry format on a graphics forum.

It's just as easy to attach a screenshot as well as the *.web file.

I take your point Steve, but it's not the Web Designer 6 forum either, so it's a pity to exclude people who won't be buying XWD 6.0.

Anyway, the argument isn't worth the effort.

I think actually that both points are well taken. It seems to me that we have the option of attaching not only the .web file but also attaching a screenprint and/or URL. This would make the situation inclusive for all regardless of what s/w a person has.

This has been a very inclusive forum to date, I don't see why it shouldn't remain so for all it's members.

but it's not the Web Designer 6 forum either

It's true it isn't but right now WD6 is the hot topic so that's typical of what a person should expect. Once WD6 cools down I'm sure you'll see some different things happening again.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I take your point Steve, but it's not the Web Designer 6 forum either, so it's a pity to exclude people who won't be buying XWD 6.0.
    Ah but neither is it a WD5 forum Paul and there has been no intend to exclude either - it is what it is
    Anyone who chooses not to buy WD6 obviously won't be interested in a WD6 file.
    But you're right - it's a mere detail.
    I guess we could consider a WD6 sub-forum, but that would just give mods more work in moving more incorrectly posted threads

I think as long as the WD6 is stated in the thread name, the content of the thread can be WD6 specific. Am I wrong?
    John.

I think that WD6 adopters must just be very shy of letting the rest of the world see their efforts then.. (don't mean you Jim). ;-)

There has to be a supreme irony of buying a web design program of any description, asking for feedback on the web design, but then only allowing people who have purchased that very same program to see the end result.

I'm not looking for some kind of authoritarian ruling or getting myself stamped upon once again for expressing an opinion. I don't want anyone to be forced to do anything, be that to not present designs as WDx .web files or to be mandatory owners of WD6 before being qualified to comment on peoples web designs.

I'm just raising the flag that asking for opinions about a web design should ideally be an inclusive process not one that only includes the latest adopters.

Paul, you can open Jim's file in WD5 if you like. Try it.

Well, I assume that at some stage what I would see in WD5 will be differrent to what a WD6 user might see. I'm used to people having problems with Xtreme and submitting files and older Xtreme versions generally reading them well, but I'd imagine that some WD6 features (menu bars, etc) might not translate so well?

In any event, I'd be a hypocrite in that I might well be able to read the file but still it wouldn't be good for people who hadn't bought WDx not to be able to contribute to what is essentially a web design call for comments.

I think we all take for granted the interoperability of Xara products - it's a credit to them.