Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 6

Duh. I saw "v5" and interpreted it as "Xtreme v5." I'll toddle off to bed, now.
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa
    Visit Spinland Studios: http://www.spinlandstudios.com

Thanks Sleger and apologies for confusion over Xtreme5 and WD5 and you are correct it was between versions of WD.
    I am a little concerned by your "mostly" comment. As the site is tweek free I don't see a problem there. Anything specific that is known of that I might have to look out for in converting to WWD6?(being a novice)
    I must say that it looks great and am quivering with my pennies poised and it is just this conversion question that prevents me.
    Thanks in anticipation

I'd suggest you download the trial and give it a, err... trial

I've not come across any dramatic problems, mostly the WD5 sites have come across cleanly and without any errors.
    Remember, aside from any introduced code by way of placeholders, there is no HTML in the *.web file to get fouled up. The html is generated when you publish so this means all the new WD6 goodness is automatically generated for your WD5 file.
    WD6 no longer uses <div> for each line of text, it is essentially DIV free.
    This is a great improvement as well.

Hi Mentorman

I can confirm yes you should have no issues, I updated 2 of my client sites yesterday 1 from a wd5 .web and 1 from a xxp5 .xar, bot used NO tweaks. I was able to perform updates on both, save, export and publish via standalone FTP with no issues.

The impressive thing was that WD6 actually updated some of the more "standard" stuff all on it's own ie the new "mouse over" stayong on the navbar for the page you are on and also the new photo pup up auto updated all my photo pop ups without me doing anything at all. Dont know if this was intended but thats what happened

Excellent product and a huge step forward

Hope that helps

Chris

PS If you are still concerned simply make a backup copy of your original .web file of WD then you have a fall back if something does go wrong but from my experience all should be well

Thanks a lot guys you have put my one fear at rest. As you probably know that updates on software usually seem to forget what went before (microsoft being the worst) and expect you to forget everything you have done no matter how good but you seem to have confirmed that WD6 has made the transision smoothly.

Will of course be downloading and trying the prog this w/e as no time before now and looks like I will be making full use of the new prog when no doubt I buy on Monday.

Thanks again for the usual good support and asistance to we "learners"

No problem glad to have been of help

One tip, when you do download it make sure you have a few hours to play it's awesome

Chris

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I am still deciding whether or not to wait for Xtreme Pro 6, I have a couple of questions that will help me decide.

1. I know from what I have read here on the forums that the Tweak set for v5 is not compatible with 6, I have two websites that use the locking pop ups tweak when I upgrade will I have to remove the tweaks in v5 first before opening them in V6?

2. Can you drag and drop between Xtreme/Pro 5 and web designer 6? In version 5 this was not working properly.

3. The new widget gallery looks very interesting can we add widgets to the gallery?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Locking layer pop-ups tweak will probably work in WD6 too. But it is obsolete now as you can directly control layers locking in WD6 without tweaks.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    2. Can you drag and drop between Xtreme/Pro 5 and web designer 6? In version 5 this was not working properly.
    No you cannot.

I'm not sure that it was ever working properly between XX and WD Francis?
    In other words, whether there was any intention by the developers to make this even possible, after all - if you have an XX file where you have made use of LE's or any other Xtreme only technology, these would not carry across to Web Designer at best and at worse cause an AVE. Clearly this would increase the amount of unnecessary support tickets

Thumbs up Re: Xara Web Designer 6

What a fantastic version, I am new to Xara Web Designer, I have been using Expression Web2, but now I think that I will switch to version 6. The interface really looks very good and the functionality is excellent, what a find.
    Last edited by mightec; 28 March 2010 at 10:26 AM.