Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Default Re: Xara Web Designer 6

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    If you use place holders, yes. But if you just place an image on a page as most of us do, no - the image is still given a number name.
    That being the case, is there any reason why you couldn't edit the exported html doc to change the name and also change the name of the corresponding image file after export/publish?

Quote Originally Posted by JDArchitecture View Post
    is there any reason why you couldn't edit the exported html
    None at all, but you would have to do this every time you update your page in Web Designer.

However, please see here:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=45034

Smile Re: Xara Web Designer 6

Hello. This is my first time posting about this particular product. I am using the trial version and it's so much fun! I'm thinking about having a client of mine buy it for me in lieu of paying me cash.
    I'm not sure how to have someone else purchase for me as she is in Canada and I am in the USA. Does anyone know how I should do this? And, is this product recommended to someone who has always used other programs to create sites, including hand coding?
    I am a bit concerned about all the code it creates. But if you experts say it's not a problem, I want it!
    Thank you.

Cheryl, you have to make decision on your own. No one here knows if it's an appropriate program for you as we can not know what will you try to do with it.
    It's much different in concept to the hand coding. The bulk of code is always generated by WD and you have almost no control over it. But you can insert some fragments of any code you wish to expand the capabilities.
    Not everything you can do manually can be implemented in WD. But certainly there is a way for expansion with the code placeholders.
    Is it enough for you or may be it is too restrictive depends on what you want to achieve.
    John.

Thumbs up Re: Xara Web Designer 6

Xara is simply Wonderful!!!!

Thank you for the input John. I think for the price, it's worth having because it's fun and easy to use. I just wish I could edit it using PSPad because that's what I normally use for my edits, but the generated code makes it impossible for me to figure out what's what.

Editing exported HTML is a wrong approach here. The right approach is inserting parts of code.
    For example, if you want something you can't create directly in WD, you can write the code of that element or a script and place it within the code placeholder in WD.
    John.

Sorry wrong forum deleted......
    Last edited by TimBox; 09 July 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Wong section

Hi Cheryl,

Why don't you download the trial of the program. Remember to read the fine print when you go into it to extend the trial from 7 days to 30 days. It is fully functional, however it doesn't have all the templates but it has enough for you to get a really good idea of how the program works and you can build a site to test it's capabilities.

This is a WYSIWYG program, and as John says, can be expanded using code snippets. Editing the code output puts you in the position of having to do that every time you make a change to the site, not what you want to do at all.

This program is very intuitive and I'm sure will be a breath of fresh air once you relearn your workflow for building websites.

If you do searches on this forum you will find almost every kind of help you could possibly ever need and if by chance, you can't find something, you can ask.

The people on this forum have an extremely quick response time for asked questions, generally within an hour or two. Few sites can claim that.

Give the trial a run and see what you think. As John says, it's ultimately up to you whether you should purchase or not as you know what you would be doing with the software and at what levels you need to achieve.

Hope this helps.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

I did have my client purchase the full program for me and I am enjoying it. I have no idea though as to how I would add a hit counter. Is it even possible? I have one but can't figure out how to add the code for it. I've tried in several places but it keeps popping up on the top of the page instead of the bottom, where I want it.
    Thanks for any help anyone can give. This is a great program!