Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with a Flash Video Design

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some opinions/advice on how to alter this page containing two flash videos.

http://watchmymvp.com/mvpexamples/mvpexamples.htm

The problem right now is that both of the videos start to download when you enter the page. So twice the bandwidth is being used than is needed.

I would also like the layout to remain with the videos playing in the same spot as they are now. I would rather not have the user go to a separate page to just watch the video.

Any ideas?

Is there a way to not have all fo the video download automatically?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Help with a Flash Video Design

You could try adding <param name="play" value="false" /> to the <object> and <embed> parameter options

But this would require that you add the code manually via a placeholder rather than using the 'Replace with flash' option in Web Properties.

Hello Sledger,

Thanks for your reply.

Will this code stop the download from automatically starting?

The files are set to only begin after user input, but the download progressbar starts immediately.

Thanks

I found a better way using Popups.

http://watchmymvp.com/mvpexamples/mvpexamples.htm

This program is really great!

Doesn't work

I click the big Play Video button and wait a while, a small control bar loads to the bottom right which when clicked disappears (this is what any casual surfer will do without something to tell them not to)

Tried in Chrome/Opera/IE/Safari and FF - same thing.
    If a wait a long while, a dark image loads and I see the progress bar very slowly moving (how BIG are these videos?) and the grey play button has an active green halo, if I wait until the progress bar get's ½ way and click the small play button, it all disappears.
    It also disappears if I move the browsers scrollbar.
    If I wait a little longer the video starts to play, but if I press the 'pause' button, it all disappears.
    Me thinks there's some layer/popup/code errors there ...

Also, your photo at the top is huge (almost 300kb), it's a PNG when it should be a JPG (18kb at 80% IQ)

You probably have other images that should be JPG. Check these too

I officially hate this stuff!

I just played both files in IE 8, Opera and Chrome.

The files are 775kbps. They start almost instantly on my 6Mb DSL.

I tried to work out the "Locked popup" tweak, but it kept on giveng a script error even with the box over the page like the tutorial stated. (I will work more on this tomorrow)

Any ideas? Maybe the internet is dog slow to down under from my server?

Thanks for the tip on the .png's I will comb through the site and turn them into jpgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
    The files are 775kbps. They start almost instantly on my 6Mb DSL.
    I have an 8mbit DSL connetion. Your site loads quick enough, but the flash files not.
    I don't think 775kbps is your file sizes, sounds like you are quoting me the video bitrate.

I tried to work out the "Locked popup" tweak, but it kept on giveng a script error even with the box over the page like the tutorial stated.
    You will get script error when the directions are not followed to the letter.
    The box can be sized down to 100pixels if you like, it matters not - provided it sits on the page somewhere.
    I suggest you read the tweak instructions very carefully - it works well when followed exactly

Maybe the internet is dog slow to down under from my server?
    No problems normally here, it's all downhill anyway

Thanks for the tip on the .png's I will comb through the site and turn them into jpgs.
    Glad to help.

Hello

I dont know if you have been playing with this today but in the UK with a 6meg connection it seems to be working well see video below, the audio works fine on my lappie just has not recorded in the video.

Alos for your first guy Skyler Hagan in the first lot of comments from other people in the video you have him as Tyler thought I'd mention it

Hope that helps

Chris

EDIT

Meant to add browser for this examplr was Firefox

Last edited by ChrisBro; 24 March 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks Chris.

Your playback looks like the same experience I am having. Your Yutube presentation is very cool and very helpful! So I am not crazy...it works.

Thanks for the tip on the error as well.

Glad you seem to have it sorted

I have Sledger to thank for pointing me in the right direction for the youtube thing my first one was amazed it worked lol first time anyhow

Thanks

Chris