Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Xara Xtreme 6

Default Re: Xara Xtreme 6

Quote Originally Posted by dv986 View Post
    However, there are certain details that I believe should be looked into.

I'm hoping for a change mostly in things considering precision, like

- being able to choose the position of the vector outline (inside, outside, or split half-half as it is right now). Split version is making a big mess for me, mostly when I need to position things precisely and have the exact dimensions to a pixel

- an option to disable subpixel values

- initial start of shape creation from an exact pixel (non-subpixel) position

- roundness of corners definable in pixels by radius or diameter

Also, it would be nice if feathering could be applied in larger values.
    Agree 100%
    This is great for both web and some illustration work (pictograms, icons etc)
    Another one big miss is hyphenation. Justified text without hyphenation is a typographic crime!
    Justify text buttons are useless without it.
    Currently this is the only reason i have to go to InDesign even for small works.

Miguel and dv986, I'm with you 100%!
    As Covoxer said, lets be serious and real. We won't see it some time happening soon - most likely never at all. Which is cool and Xara should go where the money is - Xara is placed really nicely in the market. I will get the next XaraPro version anyway no matter what.

I think we will have the same discussion after the XaraPro6 release again anyway
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 09 April 2010 at 01:11 AM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post in full

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I agree with miguel that hyphenation is very much needed. I work with fully justified columns of text all the time and auto hyphenation would certainly speed up my workflow. It would also make it easier to use fully justified text with the text repel feature!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Since you guys started to incorporate wishes from other posts, I will repeat myself here again too:

1. Polish "ć" (doesn't work in XX6)
    2. Base line for text areas (+ ability to set base line as the starting point for choosing alignment of objects) - a must!
    3. Better "cut and export for web" tools

Plus other changes = I'm buying XX6 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sponsi View Post
    1. Polish "ć" (doesn't work in XX6)
    We have already discussed this. It works in Xtreme Pro as you can configure hot keys properly. So you'll get it working anyway if you upgrade to Pro.
    BTW What's XX6?
    John.

two words ...

vector tools

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    two words ...

vector tools
    We should probably start a petition haha

John I can remember when I think it was Xtreme Pro 3 came out Xara.com in their website compared the 2 products side by side showing how quicker Xtreme was compared to AI CS. There was even the time when Xara tried to entice FreeHand users aboard offering discounts.

I know the company has changed direction in the development of the product and all that I was trying to say as a professional user that I would like to see the brushes updated so that they can compare to Artistic Calligraphy brushes in AI. It would also be nice to see a few other vector enhancements and tools to keep the professionals users behind the product
    Design is thinking made visual.

Let me explain. If we have a feature that's also present in AI, why can't we compare it with the similar one in AI? Sure we can. But does it oblige us to add all the rest of the AI features that we don't have? Certainly it doesn't. The market segments of AI and Xtreme partly intersect. So some AI users may find Xtreme more appropriate tool for their needs. That's the reason why we invite them to try our product. But this doesn't mean that we have to make every AI user happy with Xtreme.
    Adding any enhancements is certainly a very good thing. No matter what. But they cost. So the choice has to be made wisely.
    John.

No doubt keeping such a disparate number of users happy is as easy and rewarding as herding cats, but that is where Xtreme is now. By adding more non-vector tools and expanding the user base across different interests, Xtreme have fallen into this trap.

Ideally, I would like to see at least three separate toolsets which are loaded as needed; a drawing studio -vector only and the core of the program, a design studio toolset - including all the live effects, shadow, contour, extrude and bitmap stuff and a web page creator. Perhaps a fourth toolset - an animation studio. These would be made in modular fashion, so that while working in the vector studio, if you need another toolset, that could be loaded too.

I know that the likelihood of this is as vanishingly small as the possibility of a macro recorder, never the less, that will not stop me arguing my corner.

All this is not to say that I do not appreciate the quality of Xtreme as it is. After all I use it everyday, it is fast and easy to use. But it is human nature not to be satisfied with what we have, no bad thing really, and so -upgrades and whining about not getting what we want, when we want it.
    Last edited by MarkMyWords; 10 April 2010 at 12:52 PM.