Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Text area only exporting as png - bug?

While working on a website in Xtreme Pro 5 for a friend recently, I noticed that text areas were constantly exported as png's instead of text.

It took me quite some time to find out why: I had applied 'ellipse' as default stroke shape before and forgot to reset it. Thus the (invisible) borders of my text areas also inherited this shape and as a consequence were exported as graphics. Setting stroke shape to 'constant' solved the problem.

Is it a bug or a feature I just don't understand?

Just wanted to share this, as I'm probably not the only one running into this problem.

Regards,
    Hubert

Default Re: Text area only exporting as png - bug?

This happened to me until someone here pointed out to me I enhanced the text with shadowing and the like. When you do that it creates an image file not a text. So remove the special effects and you will have text.
    Hope this helps

Browsers can only render fonts as fonts because they use the font which is installed on the persons computer viewing your site (which is why you can only use a limited selection of font faces, known as 'web safe')

If you start customising/decorating a font then there is no other recourse than to export it as an image to maintain WYSIWYG.

I'm not sure whether I was clear with my description before. I'm of course aware that applying any effect to my fonts causes export as a graphic.

Actually I was not aware that I did anything to my text at all because the border of a text area is invisible. I only had been drawing other elements of the site before with an ellipse stroke shape. To me it was not obvious, that creating a text area would also be affected by this attribute.

Well in that case it shouldn't be.

Please supply your file so we can check why this happened. Thanks

Here's my file. I removed most of unrelevant contents to keep the upload small.
    Thanks for looking at it.

Regards Hubert
    Attached Files Attached Files