Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Cost of making comics

Bob Hahn goes a bit fast on his videos so I tried to do an eye like he teaches while watching the video and replaying over and over again. I`m not disappointed, but when I tried to make the eyelid shape at the end the lines wouldnt show up. Anyway I leave it for tomorrow

Here it is what I`ve done
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 28 March 2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post in full

but isnt the coloring done with softwares these days?
    I used to color with filter pens. I dont know exactly what kind of inks designers used in the past to color their comics. There are no comics schools here. Unfortunately it is regarded as a lower form of art, or used to. Architect was the thing to be
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2010 at 10:31 AM. Reason: no need to repeat the same quoted post a second time

yes commercial art mostly is done on computers - you can get art classes for this too, at least here

anyhow as far as inks go:

I don't quite go back as far as 1950 but in the 1980/90's I used rotring 'artistcolor' [no longer made] which was a waterproof translucent [transparent] ink

The technique was to build up the color by applying several layers - as the color was waterproof once dry, the next layer[s] would not physically mix, but simply add to the depth of color - by laying one color on another you could get subtlety - where the color was applied thinly the board texture would be clearly visible - if you needed a color to be opaque, you mixed it with white before applying it
    Added refinements would be to wet the board first and let colors flow and/or mix before drying - this would alter the texture and the look of the board too.

And of course there are water soluble inks as well.

Is it possible to mimic this technique in xtreme? - Probably, but it is going to be a bit involved I reckon [Compared to using a program that has a liquid ink brush, such as Corel Painter, but even then you have to learn how to use it of course]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Most people who give tutorials on Youtube tell us to get Photoshop for colouring. Anyway I liked the colouring by "markmywords" all done with xara.see here

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=29089
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post in full

Fair enough - a great example to follow
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In my own experience...

I use Manga Studio for all of mt B&W inking, Any software can be used for coloring, I prefer using Corel Painter Essentials (as I own only that, it came with my Cintiq and I like it). And Project Dogwaffle pro for lighting/particle effects.
    I then use Corel X3 (powerclip) to draw my panels and insert my combined artwork.

There are a couple of pencil/inking tutorials available at gnomon which really show some skills in comic book artworks... if I'm allowed to post links I would.

Cintiq would be a good investment of you are planning on going professional.

Cintiq is great but costs the earth. At the moment I got Photoshop on trial for a monthg. From what I`ve seen so far it`s easier to color with it than with Xara but apart from that not really better. I may download corel and see what it does
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 March 2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post in full

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    You could colour the comic.
    I think i found the trick. Do sketches with pencil, import, then use the freehand in the colors we want to color the comics and use some of the highest thicknesses,like 16 or 48.After coloring we draw the black lines and finally do the ectangles with pen tool. This is what I did with the Alix comic. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by woodwater View Post
    I with the Alix comic. Any suggestions?
    sorry this is the drawing

That works well. Each individual will have a way to work that fits their method and feels comfortable to them.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update