Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Cost of making comics

Hi

I found some comics I did in my teens. I imported this one to Xara, but of course couldnt do much to it as it was already inked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0026.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	70650  

You could colour the comic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inking.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	70655  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    You could colour the comic.
    Let`s see what I can do
    thanks

From what I see xarastrem has no layer gallery available?!

PS: sorry i had to be on freehand to be able to open it

I suppose you could make a new layer and trace new ink lines over your original image, though that would be more work.

I haven't tried Xtreme's bitmap tracing on something like your line work, but that also might be an option if you don't want to retrace your inking manually. It would likely create a large number of objects, though.

About the layers gallery - In version 5, it's now the Object Gallery. Are you using Xtreme or Xtreme Pro? Xtreme Pro's Object Gallery shows more information about the objects on each layer.

By the way, good job on the comic! You drew better than I did when I was that age.

Xtrem.
    I just tried doing a comic on Xara. I did the frames then began to draw people. The biggest drawback is the i cannot draw buildings behind people with rectangle tool because I cant cut any lines from the rectangles, i have to draw the buildings first it appears. Then the coloring. It`s more difficult to color people as I dont always draw them as closed objects.
    Anyway it appears it`s best to sketch everything by pencil first and scan
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 March 2010 at 09:26 PM.

Here it is by the way
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 21 March 2010 at 09:26 PM.

About the rectangles - have you tried drawing them on a new layer behind the one where your people are? That way, you don't have to cut the rectangles apart.

One good thing about using a vector program like Xtreme is you have the flexibility to move individual objects behind or in front of other objects. You can drag the shape below another using the Object Manager, or select the shape and use the keyboard shortcuts to move them:

Control-B - moves shape to back of layer
    Control-F - Moves shape to front of layer
    Control-Shift-B - Moves shape behind one step
    Control-shift-F - Moves shape forward one step

I looked at your file, and I noticed that you have your background rectangles filled with white by default, which means if you put something on a layer below that, you won't see it.

You can set that so shapes have no fill. Make sure nothing on your page is selected, and left-click on the box on the color line that has a criss-cross pattern on it, next to the little eyedropper. That sets the shapes to have no fill.

If you want all your shapes to have no fill by default, go to the Utilities menu - Options, and click on the General Tab. Check "Give new objects most recent attributes". Then, any shapes you draw should be clear by default.

Now, if you make a new layer and drag it below your lines and start making colored shapes, they should show up beneath the lines.

It's true what you say about drawing people - the lines aren't always closed. That's why Bob Hahn did his coloring on a separate layer underneath his line work in his video.

I hope that helps.

Here's a quick-and-dirty attempt at coloring your sample file to show you better what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwater View Post
    From what I see xarastrem has no layer gallery available?!
    Xara Xtreme does have a layer gallery.. Which version are you using?
    (In the most recent version of Xtreme it's known as the 'Object' gallery)