Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Default Re: Cost of making comics

or rather, it seems that while colorring I must look at the inked lines to make sure I dont color over them, jusdt like if I was doing it by hand it appears.

I'd place your color layer(s) behind your inked lines layer. Just a thought.

yes thsts what Bob did. I opened a nw layer for coloring but did it over the sketched layer. Shuld have done it over the inked one or behind it as you say
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 25 April 2010 at 11:23 PM. Reason: NO NEED to quote immediately preceding post.

we have gone round in circles a few times in this and other threads WW

lets recap:

if you paint you need to keep your color within your ink lines and you are not doing this

and you do need to use the inking as reference when coloring, not the sketch, because the inking is what is used in the final drawing

the advantage of coloring on a layer beneath the inking is that you have some leeway because of what the inking covers, but you are really over-shooting here - it needs to be done more carefully

but unless you are a true painter [in which case you may very well not be using xtreme at all] - there is no easier way to color in xtreme than the way Bob Hahn demonstrates so well

because your line art style is 'broken-line' this does involve more work than otherwise, but thats the way it is

you might well find it easier in a painting program but however you decide to do it - art [worthy of the name] involves a lot of planning and a lot of work
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay View Post
    I'd place your color layer(s) behind your inked lines layer. Just a thought.
    How do i know im placing it behind, I opened a new layer for coloring on the inked layer but the colorinmg overlaps the ink
    Attached Files Attached Files

move the layer we have already covered that in post #102:

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    to move a layer - click on it to highlight it and then drag with the mouse
    or you could always import your sketch into layer 1

open two new layers - layers 2 and 3

first do your inking on layer 3

then go back to layer 2 to do the coloring

is this difficult?
    Nothing lasts forever...

it makes no difference. I still need to close objects to color them otherwise the color may overlap the ink

please read my post #144

either you are clever and careful enough to keep the color behind the ink when you paint, or you take the time and trouble to make the shapes

one or the other with xtreme - you do the drawing, not the program, that is only a tool, same as a pencil or a brush

that said there are programs that will fill unclosed shapes - inkscape for example, but don't run away with the idea that this is straightforward either, because it still takes planning and practice to get right..
    Nothing lasts forever...

[Thats why I didnt understand why you tell me to have two separate layers for inking and coloring, given that I still have to be careful not to color over the ink. I can ink and color in the same layer..or try coloring in Gimps

yes well...

it will be very difficult with xtreme to fill an area up to the edges of the black lines without very slightly going over them and if you are on the same layer this will be visible

if however your color is on a layer below, those very slight overshoots will not be visible because they are behind the lines

Nothing lasts forever...