Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default Cost of making comics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SesewratXKQ&NR=1

Hi
    From what this guy says making comics cost the earth,like 50 bucks a page in pencils and other materials. What is your experience if you ever done comics by hand?

thanks

Default Re: Cost of making comics

The video is referring to how much it would cost to pay to have the pages done in pencil or ink by other artists.

The cost of supplies to produce your own comics is much less. However, you should consider your time in the equation. How much do you consider your time is worth when creating the comic including the pencil/pen work?

The creator of the video must create the comics then pay to have others to pencil or pen and ink them into colour version.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ill do everything myself hopefully
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post in full

Many 'comics' today are published on the web. Standard bond (printer) paper and a number 2 pencil would suffice for supplies to initially draw the comic. The cost of a computer, scanner, and a program to 'colour' the scanned images would be an initial cost but as you produce more comics that cost can be averaged out so it is not so much per comic.

The cost of a program that you feel comfortable with to do the lines and colour fills can vary from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. Or it could be freeware software.

Only you can tell what program feels right to you.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

If you do the drawing, line work, and colouring within a software program or programs. Then you can skip using the paper and pencil step.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

there are many many ways of doing this sort of work - if you are interested let us know what sort of thing you like and we can give you some pointers I am sure...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

well i got xaraxtreme. I normally draw on bristol paper, but i got scanner and all that. I just scanned a drawing and cpoied to xara but couldnt color the face of the person, only the entire drawing. Maybe I`ve missed some tutorial or something. Ideally i would draw people, scan, then do the additional drawings,like geometric forms(buildings) on xara.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post

Woodwater - the whole drawing is being filled in because likely your shapes are not closed on all sides. Xtreme can't fill in open shapes.

Bob Hahn has a couple of video tutorials on how to color comics in Xara on YouTube here and here.

I find the first method easiest - make a layer below the line art layer and make closed colored shapes.

just what i was looking for.
    The basic Xara tutorial doesnt seem to talk about this
    But doing an entire page of comics with all the squares and rectangles looks more complicated. Are there any videos on that?

thanks
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: no need to quote the preceding post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBY6v...eature=related

this 3 part one appears even more compreensive though its done with Pro
    But doing an entire page of comics with all the squares and rectangles looks more complicated. Are there any videos on that?
    hanks
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 24 March 2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: No need to repeat quoted posts