Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fish & chips site

Another freebie jobby, this time for my sister and partner. I built this over a couple of days in web designer6 but uploaded using 5 - keep getting an activex warning when viewing an exported html in web designer6, think its the script for the navigation stuff not sure.

I got frustrated not being able to get the google verification script to appear in the 'head' section then remembered you must name the placeholder <head>.

Not a colour layout I would have gone for normally but things ended up with this combination and I actually quite like it!.

Have registered for google analytics, (you just paste the google tracker code in the 'Tracker code' section under the 'website' tab in 'web properties' in xara, for anyone who didn't know.)

Cheapo images from istock where needed, still waiting on a nice sunny day to get a good shop front shot for the home page.

Have listed with the major search engines and a few directories-the search engines seem to be taking quite a while to get sites indexed at the moment.

http://www.thechipinntakeaway.co.uk/
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 03 April 2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added URL

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Fish & chips site

Very nice site, nice clean layout love the characters, but one thing is missing. The main focus of the site is fish and chips yet the only food pictured is pizza! A good product shot of a plate of fish and chips would be perfect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

hi

your map does not work directly in my FireFox 3.6.3 [see attached]

ok in IE8, although the red 'map-pin' marker does not display on the map as it does in FFox if you follow the link to a new window..

nice site - I like chips....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssmp.gif 
Views:	157 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	71157  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nice Job.

My suggestions:

"Contact" should be "Find us" or "Map" - no point in advertising a chip shop that can't be found. I don't think "Contact" is quite right.

Your picture shows the chef with a grey headware and neckerchief (sp.?). I would play with the cartoon images to make that match the real chef a bit more closely - it's easy to remove the moustache and red necktie and add a grey one and perhaps grey headgear.

Your proprietor is obviously uncomfortable in the picture, so I'd suggest trying to take another where there's some sign of a smile. Best of all layout open fish and chips on the counter and have him (or a pretty assistant) behind the counter offering salt and vinegar with a welcoming smile.

Hope that helps.

Paul

Thanks for the feedback. I used the map from the designs gallery in wd6, I'll check it out- you have reminded me that I haven't even tested the site at all in other browers yet, been such a rush job and I've probably forgotten loads more things!.

The lack of product images is a pain for me as I know it will help with instant recognition, but all i've been sent food-wise is the one attached to this post, I don't think its good enough to stick on the site?. The images on istock are a bit greasy and naff looking so i'll look elsewhere or wait for them to send me better ones.

Paul I have attached the other image I was sent He doesn't look very happy. I am working hard on him to get some better shots asap!. You are right of course about the map stuff, i'll play with that.

Name:	DSC00097.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	71159   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	043 (2).jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	71160  

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Are you taking your own photos? Here is an example of a product shot that my husband took for an advertisement we did for a local bakery. I loaded the photo into XXP5 and did an out of bounds effect on it.

The bakery loved it and they sold a lot of those pies!

Name:	oob.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	71168  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Not to mention fixing up that smile and giving him a nicer setting

Name:	chish'n'fips-man.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	71170  

Updated the contact page to put emphasis/priority on 'find us here' and have included 2 images of the shop from the outside.

Added the pizza image to the front page also.

Have uploaded using wd6 this time and all seems okay with the exception that I no longer have any alt text for the images? - have fiddled around with this in web properties but can't seem to get this function to work.

Now checked the site in Firefox and Chrome and all seems fine including map on contact page(have attached screen shot)

Just waiting on better images from 'them' and i'll have a look to try and find a couple of fish and chips type images for the menu page.

Name:	browser_checks.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	71179  

Ha ha ha Sledger nice images he remids me of something out of Super Mario now lmao

Seriously I like it a lot, I agree with the comments here but the site looks great, nice and simple, clean and functional a good job

You rmap works fine for me here in FF IE and Chrome..

Have a nice Easter

Chris

just one thing - personally I think you should mention this establishment is in Newport Pagnell on the home page

ok, you have a contact page with good directions, but you may just cut down on spurious phone/emails if you make it clear where it is in the home page banner, say, - not all web users look beyond their nose
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...