Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara Web Designer and pdf

Hi I would like to insert a pdf file into xara one that my client would like people to be able to down load and print out on their computer. I hope I am explaing this correctly. I would like to put a pdf file in the a xara website I am making and on a certain page I would like people to be able to click on a link that would download the pdf file to their computer. I don't want it to open in the website. Hope this helps. You know they would click on a link and pdf would open onto their computer. Thanks would appreciate any help on this I need to get this website done asap.

Thanks
    Sandra Woods
    by the way if you would like to take a look at the website url is
    http://oakbrookvillageapartments.com
    IP

Default Re: Xara Web Designer and pdf

Hi Sandra,

The only way I can think of to force a pdf file to download rather than display in a browser is to put it inside a zip file.

Simply include the .zip file in a folder on your site and provide a link to it's location.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Soquili's solution is the only one I cna think of as well, most modern browsers have options to download or display PDF's so you will be on a losing battle with that one, but when a PDF does disply it has a toolbar which dies easily allow the user to save or print anyhow.

Hope that helps

Chris
    IP

Sandra, it's possible to save PDFs saved in a browser - I think you just need the PDF link to open a new browser window.

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hi Sandra,

The only way I can think of to force a pdf file to download rather than display in a browser is to put it inside a zip file.

Simply include the .zip file in a folder on your site and provide a link to it's location.
    *BUMP* I have exactly the same question as the OP. This seems a good way. Since this thread was active in 2010 has anything changed or is the Zip file route the way? l've got Xara 11 Premium.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
    *BUMP* I have exactly the same question as the OP. This seems a good way. Since this thread was active in 2010 has anything changed or is the Zip file route the way? l've got Xara 11 Premium.
    Answered only yesterday.

Please look at https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...567#post597567. There is no one solution for all browsers, especially IE1.

Acorn

P.S. I have closed this Thread as of now. If a TGer finds an old Thread, do not append your question there as the solution will be for an early program version, more often than not.
    Instead raise a new Thread; we don't mind!
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP