Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Is a background always exported as a .png?

I'm trying to have a background image not be exported as a .png. I've tried both .gif and .jpg for backgrounds but they both export as .png files, and I can't see a way to make them stay a .gif or .jpg. Are backgrounds always exported as .png files?

Jim

Default Re: Is a background always exported as a .png?

Backgrounds are always exported in the same format as the file used for me.
    Not sure how a JPG is being exported as PNG for you??
    Solid colours are written as html colour code.

If you create something in Xtreme to use for a bg, create a jpg bitmap copy, delete it from the page then open the bitmap gallery, select the file and choose 'background' or ctlr+Drag'n'drop to the page.
    This is then exported as JPG.

Could you explain your workflow?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	background-as-jpg.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	70519  

I do File>Import to bring the image in. Now it's in the bitmap gallery. I highlight it then click the Background tab, or right-click and use Set Page Background. Doesn't matter which file I choose, it always exports as .png. Attached are 2 files, the original .gif I'm trying to use, and the screenshot of the export. Question: does the background always get named "0"? There is another file named "0" when exported that's just a large rectangle. see http://www.beholdcomics.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dangertrans.gif 
Views:	97 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	70520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture005.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	16.4 KB 
ID:	70521  

1. GIF's are not supported. So the GIF background, as well as TIFF, BMP, PCX etc., is exported as PNG. JPG background is exported as JPG.
    2. The background image follows common naming rules for all exported images. However, since it is usually placed before any other graphics in the design (see layer order), the chances are high for it to get name "0.png" or "0.jpg" assigned, which is the lowest number used.
    3. There may be as many as 2 different images with name "0" since JPG and PNG images have separate naming counters in X5.
    John.

covoxer,
    Thanks, I tried it again with a different .jpg and this time it worked fine. Don't know why the last .jpg I tried was also exported a .png, but it doesn't matter now. Could have been a mixup in uploading
    The reason I was using a .gif was because it was one that I had made to be transparent so had a faded look. I re-saved it as a .jpg and used it that way. File size is now 1/2 of what it had been.

Jim