Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 2nd Site with XWD/Xtreme5

http://www.rgelectrics.co.uk/index.htm

A local Electrician had seen my digital3000 site and contacted me to do him a little brochure style site. TBH I don't realy have the confidence to do this on any sort of commercial basis as I just enjoy it and did the last site as a favour to a relative. I ended up bartering services with the Electrician- I got some much needed bits doing to the house with a chunk knocked off the final bill, he got the site!. I tried to keep the design clean and simple, he supplied most text.

Contact form is free from jotform- script on a placeholder. The google verification tag and google tracking script is inbeded in to the coding using placeholders.

I've optimised for search engines and will tweek bits as it goes. Its been verified by google and is being tracked by google analytics, although has yet to be indexed with them? ie it won't yet show up on a search results page in google yet. I think the same happened before with my 1st site from memory and did take a few days or so. I've registered him with a few directories etc and along with the link from here should help get it indexed quicker hopefully.

I've tested in IE,Firefox & chrome and seems okay in all.

I haven't worked out how to get the right kind of site map thats google friendly and can be done with xara in some way. I did a map for digital3000 site but google said that it was an html page and not of the right sort to be of any use. If any kind soul could point me to a thread in the forum which deals with this, I would be most grateful.

Default Re: 2nd Site with XWD/Xtreme5

Looks good to me. Might be better if the light bulb were on though. More positive.

Might learn something in this tutorial.

Great Site, Pretty sure you could make some good money out of web design.

Thank you both very much for taking the time to look and comment. I have added some glow to the light bulb using a couple of elliptical shapes with feathering and transparency which gives it a bit of a lift/glow and looks okay for now-will work on the tutorial provided when I get some quality time to concentrate properly!.

Still a bit worried that its not yet indexed by google but have read on the net that some sites have taken up to 4 weeks!. I can't understand how it has been verified & data is being collected for google analytics, but still wont show up on a search ie even typing 'http://www.rgelectrics.co.uk' in the search box doesn't show up in results.

Antspants: Google will get it indexed when they get it indexed.

If you want to check if it's in the index at all or not, you can check google with the site: keyword - so for my technicalrs.com site, I can check it by putting this in the search:

site:www.technicalrs.com

no quotes, no spaces. If you don't get any results, you aren't in the index.

Also, check out the google webmaster tools which can sometimes give you some insight as to why it's not showing up. And make sure to submit the URL to goolgle, bing, yahoo just for good measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Antspants View Post
    still wont show up on a search ie even typing 'http://www.rgelectrics.co.uk' in the search box doesn't show up in results.
    Well it does now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rgelectrics.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	70642

However it's a bit of an unfortunate domain name choice that one because it's very similar to another electrical business in the UK.

It also shows up on page 4 with the search term 'Norfolk based electrical contractor'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norfolk based electrical contractor.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	70644

So it's there, give it time and get some links from other sites happening

Yippee its been indexed now, thanks for pointing that out.

I have registred it with the main directories such as yell etc but I think the details are still waiting for approval with a couple of them . I have also linked from digital3000: http://www.digital3000.co.uk/additionalservices.htm

Now need to tweek the seo stuff as we go to get him higher for the specific bits he wants. Been trying to get him to understand the difference in how a typical customer will type in a search phrase comparred to how a qualified electrician would search. Google webmaster tools should be able to help with the popular search words etc.

My sister has been making noises about getting a site done for her & hubbys fish & chip shop.........................yet another 'favour for a friend jobby' no doubt!

Don't forget - not everyone uses google.

I've submitted to Bing and Yahoo-Yahoo indexed in a couple of days and Bing was longer - about a week and a half I think.

I have to say that posting the site(s) on this forum has helped a lot with speeding things up as far as indexing on the search engines goes. I would encourage anyone who has designed a site with a xara product to post it up here.

Again have to say thanks to all the people who have helped on this forum, the responses to problems, youtube & xaraxone tutorials etc. I would not have been able to get these sites up and running without the help from you all.