Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Will not accept my FTP password

I am going spare!

I know that my password is correct as I use it to load up a number of sites using Dreamweaver.

I have tried entering the password by typing it in and also by copy and paste, but each time I get the message 'The password was not allowed'.

I just don't know what to do; as I know that the password is correct and that I have entered it correctly.

Why should my web host (1&1) accept the password when it is uploaded using Dreamweaver and not when I use the FTP subroutine in Xara?

I have tried about 20 times with various combinations but Xara simply wont load up my site!

I set up a test site and tried to load that - same result, I then transferred this to Dreamweaver and it loaded immediately, using exactly the same FTP account and Password.

I have downloaded the latest version of Xara and also tried to load it up using Xara Web Designer, but I still get the same result. I could transfer the site to Dreamweaver just to get it loaded but this seems a lame thing to do!

Should have mentioned that I am using Windows 7 64bit, Home Premium, on a Quad Core Intel with 4Mb memory.

Martin
    Last edited by Riftvalley; 14 March 2010 at 10:08 PM.

Default Re: Will not accept my FTP password

Hummmm you tested using dreamweaver and it worked ok!!!

I had the same problem,its not xara its you.

Seriously, I know its a pain but its something to do with your password.

I contacted my host site and he was very patient with me as at that time I was going quite mad with frustration.
    Password not allowed Password not F'n allowed LOL grrrrr

He reset my password to the one I thought it was and everything was fine.

So, to avoid embarrassment go into your host account and double check the password..if in doubt change it.

I don't know what 1&1 are like for customer service but mine was up and running in minutes.

Another thing check that 1&1 don't insist you use a specific folder, if they do name it in the Web Properties box(AKA sub folder).

Believe me I know what your going through, and FTP is supposed to be the easy bit hahahahaha.

Hi Guys,

I've never once used the Xara publisher part of Xtreme/Webdesigner....however I've read many posts with people having exactly this type of problem From what I understand, the internal Xara publisher is very basic and you have to be quite careful with it.

I'd like to recommend to you that you use an external publisher like FileZilla (free) as it is flexible and you have much more control over how you get to publish your site.

Just a suggestion to try to help you keep your hair and nerves intact.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11

Thanks guys,

I have deepened the issue, I took all my Xara file and placed them on my laptop, and with the self-same settings the site popped up onto the internet no problem at all!

So with Vista Ultimate on my intel core 2 3Mb laptop I have no problem, both machines have an itentical Xara Extreme Pro build (5.1.2.10703 Nov 2009).

So I can't help thinking that the problem is somehow connected with my particular set up with Windows 7 (64bit) and how it reports the password to the ISP.

Please note that when I imported the files into the laptop I used the password that was already embedded! WHat I will do now is to put the password onto a usb drive and paste an identical password into both set-ups and see what happens!

Kind regards

Martin
    Last edited by Riftvalley; 15 March 2010 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftvalley View Post
    Please note that when I imported the files into the laptop I used the password that was already embedded!
    FTP host, user name and Password details are not embedded into Xara files.
    That information is kept in the Windows registry from the manually entered details the user inputs in the Publish tab of the Web Properties window.
    Nothing is carried across with the .xar or .web files.

Unless you have some firewall blocking outgoing connections from Xara software, Windows 7 64bit isn't the issue.
    As has been suggested by many people at TG since last March, use a stand alone FTP client such as FileZilla.

Xara used the password that was kept from the previous upload, so when I imported the files the password was remebered. I didn't need to enter it again as it was already there.

To test that it was the same password I pasted (and typed, uploaded /tried to upload twice+ times) it in from a USB drive that I saved the password from the desktop machine. So I have eliminated all possibility of using a different password between the desktop machine that would not load and the laptop which loaded faultlessly.

I might just use Dreamweaver to upload, or always use the laptop for Xara when I want to load a website - not very satisfactory.

Regards

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Riftvalley View Post
    Xara used the password that was kept from the previous upload, so when I imported the files the password was remebered. I didn't need to enter it again as it was already there.
    Yes, clearly you have entered the correct details on your laptop at some stage which Xara has stored in the Windows registry for future publishing use.

Just remember that the FTP Host, User name and password are NOT embedded in your Xara files.
    Your details are set in the Windows registry so that each time you press the publish button, the registry is read and those details are shown in the Publish dialog no matter what site files you are about to upload.

This may change in future releases (there's been a lot of requests for change) but for the current versions of Xtreme 5 and Web Designer 5, this is how the system works.